Custom cafe doors
I need your opinion and advice.  I want to replace a retail set of café doors with a set which I intend to build.  
The doors are to be 74" tall and 17 3/4" wide, made from cherry with either 4 or 6 raised panels for the set and using pivot hinges.  The retail pine doors are 1 1/8" thick and the stock which I have may finish out at 7/8".  Should the rails and stiles be made wider to compensate for the thinner stock and additional length?  Would making the raised panels 9/16" thick invite trouble?  Are standard pivot hinges designed for a certain thickness  and if so, why? 
These are pantry doors which would normally be left open. In other words, lightly used.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
(05-15-2019, 02:12 PM)cantcforest Wrote: I need your opinion and advice.  I want to replace a retail set of café doors with a set which I intend to build.  
The doors are to be 74" tall and 17 3/4" wide, made from cherry with either 4 or 6 raised panels for the set and using pivot hinges.  The retail pine doors are 1 1/8" thick and the stock which I have may finish out at 7/8".  Should the rails and stiles be made wider to compensate for the thinner stock and additional length?  Would making the raised panels 9/16" thick invite trouble?  Are standard pivot hinges designed for a certain thickness  and if so, why? 
These are pantry doors which would normally be left open. In other words, lightly used.

Use a wood weight calculator to find the weight of the door. Purchase the hinges by that weight. Here is a simple calculator although it doesn't use the mc for calculating. It should be close enough.

https://www.inchcalculator.com/lumber-we...alculator/
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
(05-15-2019, 02:12 PM)cantcforest Wrote: I need your opinion and advice.  I want to replace a retail set of café doors with a set which I intend to build.  

7/8" is pretty marginal for solid wood doors that large; I'd be worried about bowing/warping, etc.  How wide were you planning to make the stiles/rails?  You asked if they needed to be wider; wider than what?  

Got a link to the pivot hinges you want to use?  There are lots of choices:  Examples

John