DeWalt 20v max chainsaw review
It arrived today.  
Smile
First impressions: fit and finish are excellent, balances well with a 5amp/hr battery. Oil cap fit so tight I had to use pliers to remove it the first time.

Headed for the woods, had a dead Ash that fell in the field, figured I would clean it up.

1st complaint: the focus group that decided a side trigger lock was the way to go was out of focus. Wtf? Chainsaws have had the trigger lock on top of the handle for decades now, why would you move it? It really impeedes operation when limbing, having to move ones thumb to the side of the handle to release the trigger doesn't get it.

The saw has decent power, just not enough to handle rock hard dead Ash. It plugged away until the branches got to 6"+ diameter. I clipped the thermal overload, oops.

Bar oil.....it uses a lot, never had a saw that drips it off the bar when you stop cutting like this one. Take the oil bottle with you.

Overall I think it's a good saw for the voltage, I pushed it cutting what I did. Next test will be some green cherry.

It won't replace a gas saw in my world. There is a place for it, trimming, cleaning up branches after storms, small tree removal, etc. I think it'll be a worthwhile addition.

Ed
I bought an echo cordless on a whim just to see how it goes. I wanted another battery for the cordless string trimmer and it wasn't all that much more to just get another tool. First impression was that its rather heavy and bulky, but I haven't tried it yet, so will reserve judgement till I do. I do agree with you that they just won't replace the gas powered saws.
Can you adjust the oiler?  Often there is a screw to allow more oil for longer bars...but I don't know about the DeWalt.

I've been itching to buy a top handled cordless saw for in-tree work:

I really want the Husqvarna T536Li XP...but the saw, 2 batteries and a charger total about $850.

I've heard really good things about both the Makita 18V and the 36V.  I may pull the trigger on the 18V soon - it is in my Amazon cart!  I've also heard really good things about the Milwaukee rear handle saw.  If they made a top handled saw, I'd already have that with an HD12 battery (and have the other batteries I have on hand as backup).

One of my hesitations is that I'd rather not have another batter platform.  I've got M18 drills and sawzall (for home and in the truck); Greenworks 40V for my home lawnmower/weedwacker/blower; Bosch 18V for my resistograph; a Field King 18V sprayer (I can't believe they make their own batteries, but I can't find a match!)...
I messed with the DW for a few minutes once so not any real time on it... Seems Ok but the chain adjustment and retention is a poor design. Luckily for Milwaukee they learned from DWs mistakes (they make allot) and they have a much better more traditional style bar attachment that uses two bolts. 

I don't need a chainsaw for much anymore and with the junk fuel now because of added alcohol 2 strokes are a royal pain as the carbs get corroded easily..... Anyway I keep looking at some of the cordless chainsaws now but for the price I can buy a cheapie chainsaw and a stack of replacement carbs. So I'll wait till the price trickles down for me. But there is allot to be said for battery as it starts every time you pull the trigger... 
      The other issue with 2 strokes is that they are adjusted pig rich from the factory now to meet NOx standards. Yeah that lowers combustion temperature but it makes the engine run like a dog, wastes fuel and makes them impossible to restart when it's hot in the summer here. Even a Stihl has that problem as you have to let it cool for an hour or more when you refuel because it will just flood if you don't. But a replacement carb is adjustable and can make the engine run much better and more efficient.
Joseph, there is a climber over on Forestry Forum that has used a cordless Stihl when in the tree for quite a while now, loves it.

I had looked at the Milwaukee...just couldn't pull the trigger on it due to the weight, at 15+ lbs. I'm hoping my dad will start using a cordless saw for small stuff and the Milwaukee was to heavy for him.

Trying to avoid a Husky / Stihl, as they don't make power tools, nothing else to use the batteries in. Second, your stuck with high dealer pricing, no sales like Milwaukee, DeWalt etc.

Ed
(05-20-2019, 01:35 PM)EdL Wrote: Joseph, there is a climber over on Forestry Forum that has used a cordless Stihl when in the tree for quite a while now, loves it.

I had looked at the Milwaukee...just couldn't pull the trigger on it due to the weight, at 15+ lbs. I'm hoping my dad will start using a cordless saw for small stuff and the Milwaukee was to heavy for him.

Trying to avoid a Husky / Stihl, as they don't make power tools, nothing else to use the batteries in. Second, your stuck with high dealer pricing, no sales like Milwaukee, DeWalt etc.

Ed

Yeah the Milwaukee is a bit heavy. I have looked at the Stihl as well and have the same issues you do. Not to mention with Stihl you really cant buy parts you have to have it repaired. It's allot like Hilti... I'm not a big fan of companies that participate in price fixing.
Had to do some unexpected trimming on a fallen branch tonight  
Rolleyes  mainly due to my father and his inablity to communicate.

A 6" green Cherry limb broke an several branches were in one of my Doug firs.

Grabbed the DeWalt and headed out not knowing what I would find.

Made about a dozen cuts, up to 2" diameter, the DeWalt blew thru them quickly with no effort.

Very impressed when compared to the first outing.

Ed
(05-20-2019, 01:35 PM)EdL Wrote: Joseph, there is a climber over on Forestry Forum that has used a cordless Stihl when in the tree for quite a while now, loves it.

Interesting...most other professional reviews on the top-handled Stihl (which has had very or no limited availability in the US) have been not so friendly.  Husqvarna seems to have taken the cake in the first go around of cordless top-handled...with Makita having a place in the market with a smaller saw.  I've no doubt I'd put it to use if i had one...but I already have 4 saws on the truck and not a lot of extra room in the tool box.  Plus, I'm saving pennies for a shop...I've gotten by this long without one.

Interesting thought about the "big 2" not making other power tools.  I was a little hesitant on the some of the other brands because they don't make chainsaws.  (Makita does have a few gas models).  But your point that Husqvarna and Stihl aren't traditionally in the business of electric motor development is a good one.
(05-20-2019, 05:17 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: .... I'm not a big fan of companies that participate in price fixing.

Apparently (according to Mags, who sells Stihl) Stihl doesn't set the prices.  They have the MSRP, but they don't leave a lot of margin beyond that so it doesn't make sense for dealers to come off of that - so it just looks like fixed pricing.
(05-20-2019, 10:43 PM)JosephP Wrote: Interesting...most other professional reviews on the top-handled Stihl (which has had very or no limited availability in the US) have been not so friendly. 

Guess I should've said Willard is in Canada.....

Ed