Milk Paint
I am thinking about refinishing two night stands that we have.  They are like a dark red/brown and appear to be finished in lacquer or a some very durable finish like what you would find on hotel room furniture.  You can leave a water glass on top of it over night and no water rings or marking of any kind.  We want to give them some nice color, like an off-white or a light blue or something like that.  I wanted to try milk paint - I haven't used it before but it looks pretty easy to use.  My plan was to wash the night stand down with 1/2 water and 1/2 DNA, and then sand it to rough up the surface, then milk paint (either the real deal or GF acrylic), and then top coat it with GF wipe-on poly.  Comments/critique?  How many coats of milk paint?  Thank you as always...
If you decide on GF's Milk Paint, just following the directions:  Link

I would not topcoat it with GF's Wipe On Poly.  You will be disappointed if you leave a wet glass on it for very long.  I would use GF's Enduro Clear Poly or, if you can't spray, High Performance Poly.  

John
One of the milk paint companies makes a burnishing paste that is acrylic based. I used it on a cabinet and it was easy, durable, and looks good without leaving the milk paint shiny looking. I have used milk paint from both companies as well as the GF milk paint. I actually prefer the GF for ease of application. I have also made my own milk paint using Casin Protein powder, lime, and pigments. Cant seem to get the colors that I want with pigments, but that home made milk paint worked better than what I have bought.
I've used GF [immitation] milk paint and it is somewhat of a miracle product.  Brush it out using a foam brush and when it dries there are no runs, no brush marks, just a perfectly smooth. albeit matte finish.

The finish will not stand up to scrapes as they show up as shiny spots.  A top coat will be required for the top surface (but  probably not for the legs).

I used black milk paint, and when I tried to top coat it with matte finish clear, the flatters made it look gray.  So check the clear coat first.  I ended up using semi-gloss, which was the flattest finish that did not go gray.  

If you are going with a lighter color this might not be an issue.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
For outdoor furniture (wood) can GF's "milk paint" be used as a colorant in homemade milk paint? If Scoony's works better than manufactured, maybe I can use the clearance stuff from Rockler to tint it. What I have is pretty deeply colored. I just never bothered, nor saw, getting white for a base.