Drill Press Chuck Problems - Help Required
So the chuck on my Steel City Drill Press is acting up. One of the Jaws is not retracting or extending properly. It either stays inset or protrudes out beyond the other two Jaws. Is this something fixable or is the chuck toast? If fixable / worth fixing, how do I go about it? If a replacement is required, what would your recommend. Years ago on this forum only, the late Pat Warner (RIP) in reply to one of question had recommended I get an Albrecht. The cost of that chuck is very close to what I paid for the drill press. If I have to go that route, I may as well look at Nova.
Smile

The chuck in question is a 5/8 JT3. Thanks in advance for your insights and help.

Cheers
I would just replace, but probably not with an Albrecht. They are incredibly good chucks, but hardly needed by a hobbyist woodworker. I went with an LFA to replace my Delta chuck. They are made in France and very high quality, but still affordable (I bought mine form Amazon at the time). Some chucks can be disassembled and repaired (search for the steps involved) but if it's an Asian import I wouldn't bother. I watched the Nova reviews somewhat (someday maybe I'll have one) and I think if you go with that you may still be stuck with a moderate quality chuck.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-05-2019, 05:52 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I would just replace, but probably not with an Albrecht. They are incredibly good chucks, but hardly needed by a hobbyist woodworker. I went with an LFA to replace my Delta chuck. They are made in France and very high quality, but still affordable (I bought mine form Amazon at the time). Some chucks can be disassembled and repaired (search for the steps involved) but if it's an Asian import I wouldn't bother. I watched the Nova reviews somewhat (someday maybe I'll have one) and I think if you go with that you may still be stuck with a moderate quality chuck.

+1   If that is a jacobs taper 33 they are common chucks.   I have this one  Jacobs keyless chuck, and I like it.  

[Image: 41V10Xw49VL.jpg]
(06-04-2019, 10:14 PM)Teak Wrote: So the chuck on my Steel City Drill Press is acting up. One of the Jaws is not retracting or extending properly. It either stays inset or protrudes out beyond the other two Jaws. Is this something fixable or is the chuck toast? If fixable / worth fixing, how do I go about it? If a replacement is required, what would your recommend. Years ago on this forum only, the late Pat Warner (RIP) in reply to one of question had recommended I get an Albrecht. The cost of that chuck is very close to what I paid for the drill press. If I have to go that route, I may as well look at Nova.
Smile

The chuck in question is a 5/8 JT3. Thanks in advance for your insights and help.

Cheers

Before replacing, you should try repairing. I'd start with WD-40 and a hammer. Lube and light taps might unstick it. Just a thought...
(06-05-2019, 06:55 AM)hairy Wrote: Before replacing, you should try repairing. I'd start with WD-40 and a hammer. Lube and light taps might unstick it. Just a thought...

Sorry, Sound like a broken gear tooth on the jaws. Only fix is a rebuild kit. For a Jacobs chuck it's worth it unless the body is worn. On an import, I would scrap it.
I am old enough to remember a time when no such thing as a keyless chuck was found on a home owner power tool.

I have really been happy with keyless chucks on almost all of my drills, although my hammer drill still has a keyed chuck just to remind me of them.

That having been said, one of the first upgrades I made to my drill press, was a keyless chuck.
Yes you could get an expensive one, but you can also find a cheap on for less than $40 on amazon.

If You do replace with a keyed chuck, I’d also recommend a retractable key ring to hold the chuck key, and a hose clamp to hold they key ring to the column so you don’t do like me, and spend half
Your drill press time looking for the chuck key.

Duke
(06-05-2019, 07:06 AM)JDuke Wrote: If You do replace with a keyed chuck, I’d also recommend a retractable key ring to hold the chuck key, and a hose clamp to hold they key ring to the column so you don’t do like me, and spend half
Your drill press time looking for the chuck key.

I had one of those retractable key rings for a long time, but had an extra rare earth magnet left over from a project, popped it on to the iron DP body on my Jet and the key is firmly held.  Magnets from computer hard drives are great too, worth smashing up the drive and extracting them.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thank you all for your feedback and insights. I got a new Jacob's chuck today and hope to install it over the weekend.

@hairy, WD40 and light tapping was the first thing I tried. It worked fine, once or twice and then, reverted to the jaws being out of alignment again.

@castguy2003, I think you have the problem nailed. The one jaw in question either pops out or retracts randomly. Further as I turn the chuck, I get some resistance at a certain point followed by a sudden release.

@JDuke, I used to have problems with missing chuck keys too until I stuck this magnet from Lee Valley on my drill price to hold the key. Standoff Magnetic Tool Holder

Cheers
FWIW, the key that came with my Jet drill press has a spring-loaded plunger in it, to prevent it being left in the chuck before you turn it on. I have it crimped onto a piece of stranded cable attached to the drill press to prevent losing it...

Never used a keyless chuck except on a cordless hand drill. Can you get them very tight on a drill press? I actually tighten the chuck using the key in all three positions on the chuck, especially when using small bits, to make sure it's really tight.
(06-08-2019, 03:20 AM)Reverb Wrote: FWIW, the key that came with my Jet drill press has a spring-loaded plunger in it, to prevent it being left in the chuck before you turn it on. I have it crimped onto a piece of stranded cable attached to the drill press to prevent losing it...

Never used a keyless chuck except on a cordless hand drill. Can you get them very tight on a drill press? I actually tighten the chuck using the key in all three positions on the chuck, especially when using small bits, to make sure it's really tight.

You can get the chuck made by Albrecht very tight but it is BIG bucks!!!!!! The imports fall way short of their performance IMO, and I have had both.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset