JET Air Cleaner fire hazard?
(06-11-2019, 07:45 AM)jihhwood Wrote: Thanks for the responses. Clearly, most folks who own the unit do not have the problem.  Nevertheless, I checked the Amazon reviews on the product, to see whether the problem is still being reported.  It is -- although it is  relatively rare.  Reports are continuing to come in -- including videos showing the problem in vivid detail.  One reviewer suggested the problem emerges when the filter is on the same circuit as the fluorescent lights. Another said his unit is OK -- he suspects the reason is that it is plugged into an outlet that can be switched son and off.

So have there been any documented cases of a fire caused by one? I've inadvertently left my JDS unit on for days at a time with no ill consequence, the motor sits in the center of the squirrel cage and is air cooled after all. The remote not working is one thing, but claiming it is a fire hazard is another entirely...
I have had mine since 2009 and nary a problem. I’m too lazy to look at amazon to see why they’re saying it’s s fire hazard. Why are they? I agree with the poster above, the motor is mounted in the middle of the unit and as long as it’s running the air flow blows past it. Again I’m too lazy to look but isn’t it a TEFC motor anyway?

Nonetheless for what it’s worth my shop has fluorescent lights and the air cleaner is on a shared 110 circuit but separate from the lights.
-Marc

I own a JDS unit and have had no trouble whatsoever with it; nor have I come across any reported problem with the product.  (BTW, customer service on the JDS has been excellent.)  Final word on the Jet seems to be that it's best if the unit does not share a circuit with fluorescent lights. Also, wiring it into an outlet with an "on-off" switch is a good idea. Thanks to all who responded.
(06-12-2019, 06:36 AM)jihhwood Wrote: I own a JDS unit and have had no trouble whatsoever with it; nor have I come across any reported problem with the product.  (BTW, customer service on the JDS has been excellent.)  Final word on the Jet seems to be that it's best if the unit does not share a circuit with fluorescent lights. Also, wiring it into an outlet with an "on-off" switch is a good idea. Thanks to all who responded.

In other words; despite your leading thread title there are no instances of a JET air cleaner spontaneously combusting and it's not, in fact, any more of a fire hazard than any other brand of air cleaner.
I have had mine for years.  I replaced the motherboard about ten years ago, direct ordered from Jet.  The remote stopped working last winter, replaced that, I'm golden.  Not bad for twenty years... No fires yet.  Both my shops have had fluorescent lighting.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(06-10-2019, 04:01 PM)jihhwood Wrote: I'm doing research on the JET AFS 1000B air cleaner.  From what I read, it seems this model has had some serious problems -- failure to turn off when it should, and other issues that pose a potential fire hazard.  The most recent account I read dates back to 2015.  According to what I read JET's customer service on this matter has been very poor, and most  who have encountered these problems customers say the company will not stand behind the product. (The company says the problems have to do with fluorescent lighting and they offer no more help than that.)  Needless to say I'm concerned.  Do you know whether this problem persists? Or has it been solve?  Thanks.

I have the JET AFS 1000B air cleaner for over 5 years, and have never had any issues.
(06-10-2019, 08:23 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I'm still trying to get the courage (cheapness) to spend the money for a new mother board.  Now another reason to put that decision off some more.

You should try the capacitor replacement. There are a few youtube videos with step by step instructions. If I can do it (and I did) then so can you. Absolutely zero experience with soldering motherboards but I was able to pull it off after watching the instructions and a few basic soldering/ desoldering videos. Total cost about $35 ($10 part and a $25 soldering kit) and an hour research plus 30 minutes to do the job.
I tried replacing the capacitor, and can't get it to work. Unit works if I bypass the board. I even tried another capacitor thinking my luck that the first was defective. No such luck. My soldering isn't great, but good enough for this.

I wish there was somewhere you could send the board for repair. I know we are a throw away society.

Thanks for trying.
(06-13-2019, 09:14 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I tried replacing the capacitor, and can't get it to work.  Unit works if I bypass the board.  I even tried another capacitor thinking my luck that the first was defective.  No such luck.  My soldering isn't great, but good enough for this.

I wish there was somewhere you could send the board for repair.  I know we are a throw away society.

Thanks for trying.

Don't feel bad... I never do anything but run mine on high anyway, and don't use the timing features.  The only reason I replaced the remote is because I have ten foot ceilings.  Until I got the new remote, I turned mine on and off with a 6' dowel. 
Big Grin If I hadn't found a reasonably priced remote I was going to wire it into a wall switch, ON for high, off for ... off. LOL.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I don't know if Jet uses an IR or an RF remote. If it is IR,I got nuthin'.

If it is RF, I had a problem with a stereo system in my lab that had an RF remote. The stereo would occasionally turn itself on and crank up the volume when no one was in the room. It was especially nasty if it also toggled to AM as there was no reception in that room and loud static is startling.

The problem went away when we dealt with problems with one of the fluorescent fixtures that liked to strobe occasionally. The ballast and the tubes in that fixture got replaced and the stereo has not turned itself on since.

FWIW
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.