Shock Chlorination
My auxiliary well water has tested positive for E-Coli. I need to de-contaminate it. I used the "shock chlorination" technique several years ago; however, I don't remember exactly how to do it. Any help here?
(of course, there is...)

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
How big is the well?  Does it have a direct connection to the house?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

We (or the well repair man) pour in a gallon of bleach, let it sit for 30, turn it on and run water out into the pasture for 30, then taste test for bleach.
Our state requires this to be done any time a well is pulled.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

This well is not connected to the house. I had a new well dug in 2008, which supplies the house. This well now supplies my two horse tanks and anyone hooked up to my RV station. I have some friends who will be hooking up their fifth wheel in the RV spot tomorrow. I will bypass the auxiliary well and run a hose from the new well source as an interim.

GM
I used pool chlorine, the granule type. I was told later that the tablets are probably better....they sink further into the well before dissolving completely. Anyway, I poured the chlorine into the well casing, and then ran water from a hose into it until I got the chlorine odor in the hose water. Then I made sure I ran it into the water heater and all legs of the plumbing of the house. In my case I let it sit for several days so the chlorine could work it's way into the crevices and cracks of the well. Then I pumped it out (not into the septic) and tested it with a pool kit that detects chlorine (completely drain the pressure tank first, clears the chlorine out faster). I don't think there is one correct way to do it, just get some chlorine and have at it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Basically you want to give it a gallon or 2 of bleach, let it sit an hour, run the furthest tap until you smell chlorine, let it sit another hour and then run until it's clear of odour. Any filters need to be flushed with the chlorinated water or have the elements replaced.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

OK. Thanks.

I'll give it a shot.

GM
This is not a simple one day job. Cleaning a well involves making the well, well water, pump, and lines safe. You need to know some details about your system before starting. Here is a pretty good write up about the process. From a well company.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to do the process today.

GM
Put one gallon of household bleach in the system, had it checked - still polluted.
Repeated the process, one gallon o fhousehold bleach, left it for two days, had it checked.
This time it's all clear.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Your wagons are free from burning for one year.

GM