Opinions, Please, on Large Shoulder Plane - Vertias vs. Lie-Nielsen
I have a large shoulder plane, LN, that is never used. But my little clifton 410 is used vey often, one of my most used planes.
Not an expert in joint pain and stiffness, but we are not talking about the miniature shoulder plane vs the large shoulder plane. If I were having a pain with my hands, I would rather use a lighter tool especially for a prolonged period.

Simon
I have both.  I prefer the Veritas for 2 reasons:

1. Ergonomics.  For me, it just fits my hand better.  I prefer to remove the pin at the rear of the handle.

2. Side iron adjustment screws.  I really like this feature.

I have medium and large sizes. I like the extra mass of a large shoulder plane an in some instances.
I have the LN Medium and Veritas Large. I much prefer my Veritas for the ergonomics, but I agree with Derek. It hardly gets used, and I wish I had purchased the Veritas medium over the the LN. In most of the reviews I've seen of shoulder planes, the Veritas wins - primarily because of its ergonomics and the adjustment screws. This is one area where Veritas consistently beats LN, IMO.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Afraid mine isn't made any more...

Auburn Tool Co.   No. 181....1.25" wide, skewed iron,,,cost me a whopping $10 a few years ago....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have Rob's stuff. Haven't used enough to comment but I agree with the points presented above.

Just to confuse the issue, there are the HNT Gordon shoulder planes. You'd have to ask Derek about those.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Folks, thanks for the insights!

My reasons for asking about the large shoulder plane are twofold:
1. My LV plow (with conversion kit) is fine for making small rabbets for furniture-scale stuff, but I want something to clean up after it. I have a Stanley 78, which I don't really like to use (uncomfortable, rickety fence, sloppy depth adjustment--just the usual complaints), but I keep reaching for it to clean up rabbets I've cut with my plow. I keep thinking, gee, I wish I had a good shoulder plane in this size...
2. I have been making a lot of big M&T joints. And by big I mean tenon cheeks I'm cutting with my rip saw rather than a tenon saw. (Mostly for interior doors, bed frames, and whatnot.) It would be nice, I think, to have a shoulder plane that could trim not only the shoulders but also the tenon cheeks. I know there are other ways to do that, but again, I keep reaching for my poor ol' Stanley 78 to do the job, which it's not very good at. I really like the width of the 78 for these kinds of jobs.

That said, I'll definitely consider the medium LV shoulder plane, especially since this purchase will be a splurge. I don't know how many more big M&T joints I'll be making in the future.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop