Save 1/2 gal of water on each flush
I've read the fill valve tube fills the bowl after flushing. Both my toilets fill the bowl, the same amount, with the valve tube not going into the overflow tube.
Being as I have a septic tank, I like to conserve water.
I haven't had the fill valve tube in the overflow tube for 4 years without any problems. Saves about 1/2 gallon of water each flush!
The bowl can't fill any more, because any more water just flows out the trap, in the toilet.
Try it. And save water!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(06-26-2019, 09:47 AM)RPirate Wrote: I've read the fill valve tube fills the bowl after flushing. Both my toilets fill the bowl, the same amount, with the valve tube not going into the overflow tube.
Being as I have a septic tank, I like to conserve water.
I haven't had the fill valve tube in the overflow tube for 4 years without any problems. Saves about 1/2 gallon of water each flush!
The bowl can't fill any more, because any more water just flows out the trap, in the toilet.
Try it. And save water!

I've always wondered what that plastic straw size tube that flows into the overflow tube is for. Anyone know?
Puts the water level in the bowl at the right height. So a question for Pirate: does your bowl get enough water in it? I may try it and see.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-26-2019, 10:41 AM)Randy C Wrote: I've always wondered what that plastic straw size tube that flows into the overflow tube is for. Anyone know?

What he said.  Fills the bowl to its max level, above which it just spills over the weir that's on the downstream side of the trap portion.

I've redirected the fill hose to the tank in the toilet in the master bathroom.  Somebody, who shall remain nameless so I don't get into trouble (you know how those wimmins talk) tends to not listen for the flapper valve to close, and when that thing just keeps running, with a clog, it'll come right over the top.  So I've reconfigured to prevent bowl filling, and overfilling, and it works just fine.  It can run all day and not overfill the bowl if clogged.

There are also flow control valves of sorts you can add to that fill line (Fluidmaster, I think) to choke down the flow.  If you need it to add more to the bowl, but the fill line overfills and wastes it, you can just choke that flow down with an adjustable valve.  But most of mine work just fine without the bowl fill line actually filling the bowl.

Ah, here it is.  

https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toi...fill-tube/
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
When I last replaced a toilet valve, I got one that has flow control for the fill tube built in.  It can be fine tuned so the water in the bowl reaches the highest level at the same time as in the tank.  So little or no water is wasted.
I changed the flush mechanism (float) recently.  They had two variations available.  One had an adjustable valve to conserve water just as you say.  I think it cost $2.00 more than the standard version.

In regards to septic systems, I always scrape my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, even though the washer says it is not necessary.  I worry about the septic system if a lot of food gets sent down.  Probably more of an issue in my head than in the septic system.  A hard habit to change however.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-26-2019, 01:56 PM)Cooler Wrote: I changed the flush mechanism (float) recently.  They had two variations available.  One had an adjustable valve to conserve water just as you say.  I think it cost $2.00 more than the standard version.

In regards to septic systems, I always scrape my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, even though the washer says it is not necessary.  I worry about the septic system if a lot of food gets sent down.  Probably more of an issue in my head than in the septic system.  A hard habit to change however.

all depends on how often you pump your septic system.    You can abuse a septic system pretty badly if you pump it often enough.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

In Wisconsin mandatory inspection or pumping every 3 years. I consider this normal maintenance. No different than an oil change in you truck. I do my best to keep grease out of my septic. I have been told this is the worst thing for them. Not sure if this is right or not. Why are toilets like I have seen in some other countries not available or at least uncommon here. 2 different water flush amounts depending on the transaction. I have a friend who moved here from Australia. He has told me that due to extreme water shortages the rule as he was growing up,and I quote."yellow is mellow and brown is down". Minor transactions not being flushed would definitly drive the females in my family nuts. Possibly only followed at gunpoint and not even sure then.
140 dual flush toilets on HomeDepot.com.

depending on the septic system, and the soil its in, and how the people used it, a septic system can go 10-20 years without pumping.  the septic people around here recommend pumping every 4 years after the system is about 10 years old.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

We haven't had our 2 pumped out in 15 or so years.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020