Tree Work Cost
(07-03-2019, 10:25 AM)CLETUS Wrote: I'd invite 

JosephP over for a BBQ and tell him to bring his saw.

HA!  It was his advice a while back that helped me find the company that I got the quote from...sadly he's just a bit out of the area for this work....buuuuuuuuut....some guys have been known to drive a couple of hours for good brisket so you never know
Smile
(07-03-2019, 09:04 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Hi All,

Just wanted to run this by the gang.  Got a quote from what I think is a reputable company to come in and do some tree work in my back yard.  It will involve taking down about 7 trees, and then trimming up a handful more.  3 guys, lift equipment, and a chipper.  All day rate, 0800-1600.  They will fell the trees, leave the logs, chip all branches.  $1,600.  Feels reasonable to me, but I've never hired out this kind of work and just wanted to double check it's not out of line.

Thanks!

That's a fantastic price, make sure they are licensed and bonded.  I had a 36" caliper ash tree cut, a couple oaks that were about an 18" caliper and a small elm about 12".  That ran about $3,600, but they had to grind the stumps and take down a fence and re-install.  My tree guys are big boys with big toys, there about a crew of 10 with hard hats, safety vests, semi-dump trucks, Bobcats...like an army.  It took them 4 hours to do the work and they hauled it all off.  You could never tell there were tree guys in my back yard when they finished.  Make sure you know up front exactly what they are going to do from start to finish, including clean-up.
Eric
We had 10 large trees removed. 60-70ft tall, Oak, Poplar and Sweet Gums. 28" to 32"ish inch dia. at the trunk? They cut the logs to manageable lengths and left them behind. Chipped the branches and hauled the chips away. Ground all stumps below grade. One large 12" dia branch removed over the house from another tree.

We had 3 bids. Two bids included crane work. Went with the guy without cranes and also low bidder, good reputation but a little slow. It took 3 men about 6 days. A bigger crew could have done it in 2 days IMHO. Cost was $11k. Other bids were between 13 and 14k. All of these trees were tricky because of the proximity of the house. All but 3 hung over the house.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(07-03-2019, 10:25 AM)CLETUS Wrote: I'd invite 

JosephP over for a BBQ and tell him to bring his saw.

My project friday afternoon is to get the briskit started in the smoker. Will be up all night tending the fire. I have a nice supply of mesquite logs.

Here in TX where I am there haven't been any good BBQ places up until recently where we have had more small guys opening shop. The BBQ place here in town just went out of business. They had bland bbq with no smoke flavor like most places. Too bad I don't have the funds to go in there and make it a reputable BBQ joint... Lots of profit in briskit these days as many are charging $22 to almost $30 a pound for it.
I had a cupcake job a couple of years ago. Tree was adjacent to driveway. Oak tree about 70-80 ft tall. 30' all around the tree clear for drops.

I just wanted it down. I was willing to do all the clean up & haul off on my own. Just raise the bucket truck and start cutting basically.

Took two guys less than an hour.

$9/minute.

They were a few hundred cheaper than other companies.
Around here, $1600 for that much tree work would be an amazing price.  Is the company bonded/insured? 

I'd make sure it's a "real" tree company, not just three guys and a chain saw.  Make sure they have the liability if something goes wrong. 

A co-worker recently needed a large pine tree removed; his quote was $1200 for the one, but that included stump removal.

I've done some very amateurish tree work way in the past.  There's a fair amount of risk in tree trimming and removal.  My good neighbor almost died from an accident in 2012 while trimming a tree in his front yard; I'm now always solidly against major tree work as a DIY project for amateurs.
Thanks again for the replies everyone...it seemed like a fair deal so I'll ink the proposal.  Just wanted to double check with the braintrust that it really was.

...and yeah, they're a "real" business.  Been in business for many (18) years and I did check that they are an "Accredited Business" with the BBB.  (it's my understanding that they are required to have all licenses and bonds/insurance to obtain that accreditation)
(07-03-2019, 12:48 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Thanks again for the replies everyone...it seemed like a fair deal so I'll ink the proposal.  Just wanted to double check with the braintrust that it really was.

...and yeah, they're a "real" business.  Been in business for many (18) years and I did check that they are an "Accredited Business" with the BBB.  (it's my understanding that they are required to have all licenses and bonds/insurance to obtain that accreditation)

Funny, about 15 minutes ago got an estimate to take down ONE Honey Locust tree, 12-14" at the base, including removal of all debris, for $1900.  But that's NJ...... nothing is reasonable here.  After Hurricane Sandy, I had 3 25ft high doug firs go down, they wanted $4k for removal and regrading the holes.  I bought a killer chainsaw and did it myself, but this Locust is another story, close to the house, etc.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The two storms that came through here recently left some big limbs on my roof and all over the yard and took out one half of a tree and took down another smaller tree. I spent a half day cutting them up and piling it all in the back.

This morning was pretty cool, so I burned it all up before breakfast.

I'm feeling my age in this heat and humidity. I used to be able to get this done all in one morning. But I'm all done, got my exercise, drank all my "Propel" and saved the 900 bucks the tree guy wanted.
Sounds like a decent price to me, though I or one of my sons do all of our tree work.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020