Repair vs Replace AC
A coil can be repaired although replacement is more common. Many of the alternatives are simple recover the existing, vacuum the system and recharge. Any company doing this work should have alternative replacements at hand and be prepared to do a change.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I have a summer home 1/2 mile from the ocean. The average life span for the outside unit is 10 years.
If finances allow would replacement as the unit is at end of life expectancy and the new models are so much more energy efficient. Check and see if any rebates or tax deductions for installation of energy saving units apply.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(08-19-2019, 02:35 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: If finances allow would replacement as the unit is at end of life expectancy and the new models are so much more energy efficient. Check and see if any rebates or tax deductions for installation of energy saving units apply.

I don't consider 12 years the end of it's life.  I would replace the coil and start putting aside some for the new one that may be another 12 years away.
Considering that the cost of a replacement coil would be in the thousands of dollars, that we will get a sizable rebate on a new system, and there is good potential for power savings with a more efficient system, we decided to have a new system installed. We are not happy that we were forced into making this decision after only 12 years but, that's life. Fortunately, the cost won't bankrupt us and we'll have piece of mind for another 10-12 years (hopefully).
Thanks for the advice.
(08-20-2019, 08:48 AM)Willyou Wrote: Considering that the cost of a replacement coil would be in the thousands of dollars, that we will get a sizable rebate on a new system, and there is good potential for power savings with a more efficient system, we decided to have a new system installed. We are not happy that we were forced into making this decision after only 12 years but, that's life. Fortunately, the cost won't bankrupt us and we'll have piece of mind for another 10-12 years (hopefully).
Thanks for the advice.

Where are you shopping.  A evaporator coil should be under $400 is at that.
(08-20-2019, 02:59 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Where are you shopping.  A evaporator coil should be under $400 if at that.

I'm sorry- that must be a typo.  
Laugh
(08-20-2019, 04:34 PM)daddo Wrote:  I'm sorry- that must be a typo.  
Laugh

That's about right. It's just a coil. Grainger and many other online suppliers sell them well below $400.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(08-21-2019, 06:44 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: That's about right. It's just a coil. Grainger and many other online suppliers sell them well below $400.

A no match Goodman coil?   Good luck with that.  That would ruin a perfectly good hvac system- might as well bite the bullet and buy a new system.

No
(08-18-2019, 11:31 AM)Willyou Wrote: We have a 12 year old Trane AC system. No serious problems until now. Evaporator coil is leaking. What are pros-cons of replacing evaporator coil vs replacing whole system for $8,000 plus. We must consider that the existing refrigerant will only be available for another year and so no future repairs will be possible without replacing the  system. Also, we will likely be here for about 10-12 more years.

This probably won't be popular with some certain individuals on this forum, but i have had nothing but success with this on the two systems i have used it on, both still running years later with no more leaks. One R22 and one R410a.

If you are going to replace it then you have nothing to loose trying it.

http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr/chemical-...-advanced/

$50 on Amazon.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent