Primer paint
I have some peeling/ cracking paint on some fascia boards and am going to repaint.

Do they still make oil based primer? All I can find is water based.

I am going to use a latex paint but I figured it would be better if I  at least primed with oil based. What do you use?

Thanks
Zinsser does.  It is available at Home Depot.  Make sure you choose an exterior grade of primer.

What is your objection to  a water-based primer?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I bought a gallon of oil based primer at SW just last year, might try there.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Killz is available at our borgs. Zinsser, as noted. You older guys will know.... I was just a pre-teen when they used shellac and thinned oil for primer.

Latex directly on raw cedar lifts promptly. Latex on our old, faded stain has held for nearly 20 years. Of course the small shop maker of the latex is out of business now. I will see if Killz works as a primer.
there's also Zinsser Peal Stop which is supposed to deal with peeling, chalky paint.

my FIL uses it all the time, I've never tried it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(08-20-2019, 10:13 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Killz is available at our borgs. Zinsser, as noted. You older guys will know.... I was just a pre-teen when they used shellac and thinned oil for primer.

Latex directly on raw cedar lifts promptly. Latex on our old, faded stain has held for nearly 20 years. Of course the small shop maker of the latex is out of business now. I will see if Killz works as a primer.

I still feel oil based primer is superior to any water based I've tried.
Any paint dealership will have oil based or waterbased primer that matches well with their product line. I think it is a good idea to stay within the product line for better results.
John T.
(08-20-2019, 10:13 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Killz is available at our borgs. Zinsser, as noted. You older guys will know.... I was just a pre-teen when they used shellac and thinned oil for primer.
Zinsser specifies that their shellac based primers only be used to spot prime knots and stains for exterior use.  I think that the shellac does not have enough flexibility to deal with the seasonal movement of wood outdoors.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Kiltz makes a interior/exterior oil base primer that is available at Home Depot if oil based paints are sold in your area.  I also feel oil based is is better for your use.   Roly
I agree that an oil base to start, be it primer, stain, or super thinned oil paint, makes a tougher base coat for latex based. However, our neighbor used an oil-latex blend that has been really tenacious on a southerly exposure. 

Brands dilute their paints, then expect people to honor brand-name. I discovered that trick with cheap white for my garage--something Low-Pricey was discontinuing. At least three flavors of crap; thin, thinner, thinnest, and cloudy water. That is literally what they looked like after one coat.