abranet,sanding pads
Anyone use these,what is your opinion on them if you do.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I use them for hand sanding when I am turning things
I place a Velcro strip on the back for better backing
Once the paper is loaded with dust I just have to peel off the backing and tap the sand paper to clear it and then put the backing back on
and it is as good as new

I really like it
Mel,  I use them in a ROS,  they last nearly forever, except when they tear.  I find that they do tear pretty easy when I go over edges -  so if I am sanding a flat panel with a dado, I try to stay well clear of the dado, if I hit the edge of the dado with the edge of the disc, I often get a tear at the outer edge of the disc and pretty soon I have to stop using it, but that could be user error.
I have been using Mirka Abranet in grits 80 through 400 for some years now. They are my go to when I sand using either a Mirka hand sander (which can be connected to a vacuum cleaner, in my case a Festool CT26E), or the Mirka Ceros, a 6” ROS.

[Image: FinishingTheDrawers_html_6237eaad.jpg]

[Image: FinishingTheDrawers_html_4a652cf5.jpg]

[Image: M4.jpg]

A big advantage of the Abranet is that they are mesh and permit the widest airflow for dust collection.

With care, they last a great deal longer than other types of sand papers. The downside is that they can tear (what does not?) if caught against a sharp edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(08-30-2019, 08:29 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Mel,  I use them in a ROS,  they last nearly forever, except when they tear.  I find that they do tear pretty easy when I go over edges -  so if I am sanding a flat panel with a dado, I try to stay well clear of the dado, if I hit the edge of the dado with the edge of the disc, I often get a tear at the outer edge of the disc and pretty soon I have to stop using it, but that could be user error.

Thanks for all the feedback,sure do appreciate it.I will be using it for hand sanding turned items.I have some on order.Hope to have it by next weekend.

Mel
Mel,  I should have added I use them to sand parts while still on the lathe with the lathe turning, and they work great for that, you can see the sanding dust go right through the pad.
(08-31-2019, 07:20 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Mel,  I should have added I use them to sand parts while still on the lathe with the lathe turning, and they work great for that, you can see the sanding dust go right through the pad.

Thanks Barry,appreciate the added advice.

Mel
I use autonet. AFAIK Same paper but cheaper
(09-01-2019, 09:58 AM)Juss1 Wrote: I use autonet.  AFAIK Same paper but cheaper

I used the abranet 6" round 1000, 2000,3000, and 4000 grit to sand corian prior to buffing. Worked very well. I also use them on brass rounds on the lathe before buffing with a fine grit compound. Again works quite well.
BontzSawWorks.net
I used a couple of boxes of Abranet in the 100 and 150 grit range.  I didn't find it to last appreciably longer than the Klingspore sandpaper I normally use, and not worth the much higher cost.  I expected great things after many others said that it lasts almost forever, but that was not true for me when using it on my Bosch sander with on board dust canister, not connected to a vacuum.  

John