Dovetails and Work Height
(09-02-2019, 03:54 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: The original post had to deal with work piece height and back trouble so where does the photo of Schwarz sawing waste with a coping saw fit in? 

Tom

May be wmickley could have used another pic showing Schwarz using a handsaw rather than a coping saw to make his posture point. But in a few other Schwarz videos him using a handsaw, he did bend down quite a bit. Just his sawing posture (habit).

Rob Cosman is one of the few who could cope pretty straight across and close to the scribe line, without lowering his eye sight much. I dont know how he manages doing that, but I found out I could do something similar by placing my other hand to support the end of the coping or fret saw behind the board.

Simon
(09-02-2019, 02:20 PM)bandit571 Wrote: 5-1/2"...actually....just measured it a moment ago...
Rolleyes

Oops, I did not really measure mine...just eyeballed it. as it turned out...5-3/4" for me.

Simon
(09-02-2019, 03:41 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: Then why make it 7 inches tall in the first place. Then there will be no reason to modify it. Find some way to find the height before you build it. 

Tom

Apparently you didn't comprehend what was written. The author made his vise 7 inches tall. Another woodworker building from the plans for his vise could make it whatever height they want it to be. They can adjust the dimensions to suit their own needs.
(09-02-2019, 04:23 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: May be wmickley could have used another pic showing Schwarz using a handsaw rather than a coping saw to make his posture point. But in a few other Schwarz videos him using a handsaw, he did bend down quite a bit. Just his sawing posture (habit).

Simon

Schwarz is pretty tall.  If the pic is taken from him teaching a class using someone else's workbench, it's likely he has to bend down to find a decent angle to saw.  His personal workbenches are more suited to his height.  That said, he's probably used to bending to saw, given he probably learned using benches that were shorter than ideal for his height.  Schwarz owns a Moxon vise he made using the Benchcrafted kit.  In Schwarz's original PWW article about discovering the vise, he cites portability, clamping strength, and not having to stoop to cut dovetails as the advantage of the vise.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill