Source for recycled plastic lumber for projects
A few years ago I made some nice Adirondack chairs out of what I thought was a rot resistant wood.  They rotted out.  I've seen plenty of the "Polywood" type chairs that are made out of a composite recycled material.  These are not cheap, minimum about 300 for a basic chair.  

I'd like to find out if its possible to buy the material for homeowner/diy use.  I have a couple of projects in mind including some new chairs that would hopefully last for many years without breaking the bank.

Here is a porch swing that is going for around 660 that is made out of this material.  Any suggestions besides suck it up and just buy it would be great.  
Big Grin

[Image: 81Lpg7b85OL._SL1500_.jpg]
Isn't it just decking material? If so check the "scratch, dent, discontinued section of your lumber yard/home center.
Decking boards are similar but not the same. Most of the decking boards I have seen dont have a flat underside and are wrapped on the outside so that when cut, they look funky. Definitely cant rout them.
See if you can find a plastic recycling operation in your area.  They will know - and can probably put you in touch with - anyone who makes plank type material out of recycled plastic. There used to be a company near Phila that did this but it's been 10 years since I was in that business and a lot has changed. I do recall they made some really nice Adirondack chairs.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
(08-29-2019, 05:28 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: A few years ago I made some nice Adirondack chairs out of what I thought was a rot resistant wood.  They rotted out.  I've seen plenty of the "Polywood" type chairs that are made out of a composite recycled material.  These are not cheap, minimum about 300 for a basic chair.  

I'd like to find out if its possible to buy the material for homeowner/diy use.  I have a couple of projects in mind including some new chairs that would hopefully last for many years without breaking the bank.

Here is a porch swing that is going for around 660 that is made out of this material.  Any suggestions besides suck it up and just buy it would be great.  
Big Grin

[Image: 81Lpg7b85OL._SL1500_.jpg]

Have you heard of Ipe?  It doesn't rot
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(08-30-2019, 06:09 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: Decking boards are similar but not the same.  Most of the decking boards I have seen dont have a flat underside and are wrapped on the outside so that when cut, they look funky.  Definitely cant rout them.
 You can get decking boards that are flat on the bottom.   If you have a Menards nearby they probably stock them.   Roly