Stain or let weather naturally?
I'm done building and maintaining wood decks.Composite for me.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-13-2019, 06:28 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: OK, i get it.  I guess my original post should have asked if treated decking lumber "must" be stained or can it weather without harm?  

Regards
Bill

My bad for beating on you. I just hope the barrage opened a few more windows. With my resurface (new deck) I never expected associated and peripheral costs would end up three times more than the decking. The work is sort of a labor of love. 

The treated decks I see around here on the Left Coast have a lot of splintering, warping, and grunge even if they will live another 10 to twenty years. The brown color (stain) on the new boards washes off pretty quickly. What I see of new SYP is more "natural", but I think it does the same thing as Doug fir.

Pick your colors right and plastic/composite will blend with your building style. My vote is for manmade. Especially in a southern or full sun exposure.
Ipe for the win.  It will out last you and a good chance of outlasting who ever shows up after you.  It has the same burn rating as concrete and doesn't require the same support as lesser woods.  As for stain it is so dense I haven't come across a stain that will penetrate it.  The best course is to let it just age and turn grey the one issue is each piece of decking will have to be drilled to allow for a screw and the screw will be stainless steel.  I found a self tapping screw made in the US about 15 years back but don't think the company stood the test of time.  Amazing wood, extremely hard on blades and drill bits but once done no worries
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I had forgotten about Ipe, for sure if you want a wood deck that would be a choice. Just guessing...but it might put the cost of composite to shame. Still be a great option, tho'.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-13-2019, 11:10 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Ipe for the win.  It will out last you and a good chance of outlasting who ever shows up after you.  It has the same burn rating as concrete and doesn't require the same support as lesser woods.  As for stain it is so dense I haven't come across a stain that will penetrate it.  The best course is to let it just age and turn grey the one issue is each piece of decking will have to be drilled to allow for a screw and the screw will be stainless steel.  I found a self tapping screw made in the US about 15 years back but don't think the company stood the test of time.  Amazing wood, extremely hard on blades and drill bits but once done no worries

I was told years ago that the recommendation was to clip into grooves (kerfs) cut into the sides of the boards, and those attached to metal joists as wood will not last. Then, I saw a large commercial application that used two stainless screws on the board every 24 inches. Other than the screws, it could have been ceramic tile. 

For a while Ipe price was comparable to premium Western Red Cedar with only a slightly better life expectancy--twenty-five to thirty years seems about right, for WRC.
Dark Red Balau decking is a good alternative to IPE.
In some markets, it’s called Red Mangaris.
Gorgeous wood. Very fair price for what you get.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.