Sink install in Butcher block counter top?
I'm installing maple butcher block countertop in a basement kitchenette where we will be using a drop in sink.   I will be using a cutting board finish mix of Mineral Oil and Paraffin wax on the countertops.  I plan on sealing the sink cut out edges with Poly since I can't re-oil that area easily, but I am wondering about the order of finishing with oil and caulking the sink in place?   I've always used DAP kitchen caulk to seal the edge of the sinks to the countertop, but do I need to apply the calk and let it cure before using the oil and wax finish, or does it make no difference which order it is done in?   I'm concerned about the caulk from being able to seal properly against the oiled wood?   I realize we will need to be vigilant to not leave water on these countertops, but with teenagers in the house, who knows....

Thanks,
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Poly or oil seal the inside cutout.
Caulk and install sink.
Seal countertop.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That is what I'd do too.
(10-13-2019, 06:27 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: I'm installing maple butcher block countertop in a basement kitchenette where we will be using a drop in sink.   I will be using a cutting board finish mix of Mineral Oil and Paraffin wax on the countertops.  I plan on sealing the sink cut out edges with Poly since I can't re-oil that area easily, but I am wondering about the order of finishing with oil and caulking the sink in place?   I've always used DAP kitchen caulk to seal the edge of the sinks to the countertop, but do I need to apply the calk and let it cure before using the oil and wax finish, or does it make no difference which order it is done in?   I'm concerned about the caulk from being able to seal properly against the oiled wood?   I realize we will need to be vigilant to not leave water on these countertops, but with teenagers in the house, who knows....

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, I built the laminated top and a plumber installed the sink while I was there. The sink was a very heavy porcelean  sink that did not require mounting clips from underneath. The plumber installed a temporary 2x4 across the sink with another under the sink. The two boards were connected with two all threads ,nuts and washers. He set the sink in without caulk temporarily. He masked around perimeter and lifted the sink out. Then silicone caulk inside the tape , dropped the sink in. Removed excess silicone and in the afternoon removed the tape. 
As far as I know there were no problems with adhesion over the finish which was a spar varnish I bought at a marine supply.
mike
Thanks for the replies guys, that's the info I was looking for. The 2x4s are a good idea. My wife picked out a cast iron/ porcelain sink that weighs a ton...or so it seems.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker