New to me lathe - fit accessories
Been turning on a Jet 14-42 vs.

Found a deal on a ugly PM3520a at a "leave work early" kind of price.

Problem is, old Chuck doesn't fit. New lathe didn't come with anything but a faceplate. No centers or chucks.

On the jet I've been using a oneway talon. Along with the jumbo Jaws and regular Jaws.. this doesn't fit new lathe.

Do I buy new stuff? Or some kind of adapter?
(10-19-2019, 07:16 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Been turning on a Jet 14-42 vs.

Problem is, old Chuck doesn't fit. New lathe didn't come with  anything but a faceplate.  No centers or chucks.

On the jet I've been using a oneway talon. Along with the jumbo Jaws and regular Jaws..  this doesn't fit new lathe.

Do I buy new stuff?   Or some kind of adapter?

I think you may need one of these of the correct thread size from your lathe 
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/106...ded-Insert
Bruce.
(10-19-2019, 07:16 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Been turning on a Jet 14-42 vs.

Problem is, old Chuck doesn't fit. New lathe didn't come with  anything but a faceplate.  No centers or chucks.

On the jet I've been using a oneway talon. Along with the jumbo Jaws and regular Jaws..  this doesn't fit new lathe.

Do I buy new stuff?   Or some kind of adapter?

You should be able to get one from oneway. 

https://oneway.ca/products-category/adap...n-Adaptors
Not sure but shipping might be free?
So I take it the adapters are ok to use for long term?
I had a couple of Delta lathes with 1X8 spindles, and all my accessories were 1X8. When I got my ONEWAY, I made an adapter, then got one that was a bit better made from ONEWAY. Been using it for many years with no problem.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
I appreciate the help guys.  I was looking at the wrong thing, ya'll corrected me.  I was thinking I needed a spindle adapter to change the size of my spindle... but Oneway Talon chucks use an insert.  I already had an insert for 1" 8tpi, I just need to swap the insert like you guys said.

Thanks!

I'll have more new guy questions coming soon. Stand by.
I believe you could use adapters as long as you want to. The only problem is the extra steps involved with using them. The multiple wrenches that perhaps you may need to remove an item from the lathe and the only other thing to remember is if you turn something in reverse, there would be two items that may become "undone", if you know what I mean.
(10-20-2019, 07:09 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: I appreciate the help guys.  I was looking at the wrong thing, ya'll corrected me.  I was thinking I needed a spindle adapter to change the size of my spindle... but Oneway Talon chucks use an insert.  I already had an insert for 1" 8tpi, I just need to swap the insert like you guys said.

Thanks!

I'll have more new guy questions coming soon. Stand by.

The insert will work for just one chuck. In my case, I had seven or eight chucks and a zillion faceplates. Using an adapter on the spindle was the choice for me.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.