$1 saw, again
Things have been skimpy, lately...at least in the garage sale area....almost the end of the season, around here...1 item, in 4 sales...
Rolleyes 

Full 26" length...

11ppi, medallion is from 1940-1947 era...they even clocked the screws..
Winkgrin

I cleaned most of the rust off the blade...

And found a very readable etch.....of a Disston D-8
Cool

haven't found any defects....saw was well cared for, other than the surface rust on the plate...

Needs re-finished....and the rest of the rust removed....might even shine up the bolts....
Rolleyes
Not too bad, for a $1 saw...?
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Not bad indeed. I never see that kind of stuff at yard sales around here.
Just dropped the saw off at a sharpening shop....$10, to sharpen and set,  about a week or two, then pick back up.  Then I can re-finish the handle, and shine up the bolts..
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Should clean up nicely. That's the kind of handle that, if I were going to refinish it, I'd probably reshape with a rasp and file to be more ergonomic. I've got one or two with the blocky, modern handles like that, and they're strictly yard saws. Good for breaking down long boards before bringing them into the shop, but I wouldn't want to use them for a dozen cuts in a row.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Saw came home today, from the sharpening service...$10.   Gave it a test drive on a stick of Ash...

Nice, smooth and straight...zero issues
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Ok. bolts removed and shined up...
Winkgrin

Since the handle was removed to refinish it...cleaned the plate up..

Found a complete etch that I can read!   Handle was stripped of the old flaky finish, sanded down...then a few coats of wipe on amber shellac...then assemble all the parts
Cool

Not too bad?   Even "clocked" the slots...
Winkgrin

So...a decent saw?
Cool

Might be worth the $11 I have in it...?
Confused