Bosch 1617EVS VS MRF23VS ?
I'm in the market for a new router (think Christmas gift suggestion). I currently own a pair of 1617's, one EVS, one single speed. I'm really pleased with how they've served me in the fifteen years I've had them. Granted, they see rare, light duty use, as I'm a hobbyist. Both still work; I just want to add another router to my collection.

I have no qualms with buying another (plunge base for this one).

But I saw the MRF23VS while searching Amazon. This is a new router to me, as I haven't looked into them in years. Does anybody own one, or better yet, both models and can compare them for me?
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-04-2019, 09:47 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm in the market for a new router (think Christmas gift suggestion).  I currently own a pair of 1617's, one EVS, one single speed.  I'm really pleased with how they've served me in the fifteen years I've had them.  Granted, they see rare, light duty use, as I'm a hobbyist.  Both still work; I just want to add another router to my collection.

I have no qualms with buying another (plunge base for this one).

But I saw the MRF23VS while searching Amazon.  This is a new router to me, as I haven't looked into them in years.  Does anybody own one, or better yet, both models and can compare them for me?

I have both.  The MR 23 has the switch on the handle, which is a game changer.  It also has LED lights which is a very nice upgrade.  Nicer machine over all.  I am not a big router user.  When I first hit the switch I had to look at the bit to see if the machine actually started.  The soft start is really nice.   I would, in my limited experience, go with the MR 23 over the 1617.
After posting this, I looked it up...thinking it was a fairly new router offering. Didn't realize it's been out for several years! I tried deleting the post but for some reason don't have permissions to do so. All the reviews I read say that it's a great upgrade to the 1617 line.

It's on my Christmas list.
Semper fi,
Brad

Brad, your Bosch 1617 should handle most of your heavier router work. Yes, there are newer, improved models; but there will always be those. You can spend a lot of $$$ upgrading tools that still to do the job for you. Let me suggest a different kind of router. I have an older Bosch 1613 2 1/4 hp plunge router that has served me well and still does. I also have several others including a Bosch 1604, a Bosch Colt "palm router" and a big Porter Cable 3 1/4 hp. router that lives in my router table. My current favorite is a little DeWalt 611 1 1/4 hp. router. It comes with both fixed and plunge bases. It's lightweight, has an LED light that illuminates the bit and workpiece and it is a joy to use. I still rely on my 1613 for heavier router work, but I find that the little DeWalt handles probably 60% of what I use a router for at my bench. It's in the same power class as the Bosch Colt; but, IMHO, it beats the Colt hands down for most things, although I still use the Colt for hand held work. Take a look at a lighter router (I recommend the deWalt 611). It would fill a vacancy in your power tool stable.
Oh yeah, I have a couple of trim routers; they get a LOT of use. I love them.

I want a few more mid-range routers (like the 1617 and 23) for dedicated bit use, like setting-and-forgetting with my Leigh jig.
Semper fi,
Brad