Back in the Day
(11-26-2019, 04:23 PM)DCarr10760 Wrote: I think the main thing is that there's little left to discuss after 15 years of active forum interaction.  We all now agree that:

1. It's tails first.  Pins first is an abomination.

2. Saw nibs are for knowing when to stop pulling a saw out of the cut so you don't kink your $300 Wenzloff Seaton rip saw.  All other reasons are just fairy tails.

3. Scary sharp ™ is the only viable method for sharpening chisels and plane irons, and if you still have any hair on your forearm you haven't yet mastered it.

4. You need all of the Stanley Planes. (Unless you're Paul Sellers, then all you need is a No. 4.)

5. Japanese saws are only for guys who wear white socks under their flip-flops.

6. You can't be a fine woodworker unless you file your own saws, and since nobody makes good saw files anymore, you just have to keep buying new dovetail and carcass saws when they get dull.  Fortunately there are a million guys making them.  I take mine with fleam. 

7. You have to make at least one successful dovetailed drawer before you post a how-to video on YouTube, but that's all.

8. The ideal bench size is 8-feet long x 3 feet deep, and 4-inches thick.  It should have a leg vise on one corner, a tail vise on the opposite end, an Emmert Turtleback vise on another corner, and a pair of Record 53s from Mike Dunbar's school, one on each remaining corner. (wait, how many corners is that...)

9. The best finish for wood is a three step process involving garnet shellac, BLO, and beeswax.  Nobody knows the correct order.

10. Tool Chest design is a matter of personal preference, but whatever design you choose, if you can lift it, you don't own enough tools.

LOL - still chuckling
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
What would be nice also, is if the moderators actually posted and interacted about woodworking.
Dom seems to be the last one that does post about tools or projects....when he shows up.
He's been a busy man, full time job and running a saw parts business.

I agree that the software changeover was a bust. I think I've finally gotten rid of the 60,000 wood project spammer.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That’s one of the best wood forum posts ever.
I think a lot of fudge have gone onto other endeavors. I have spent a lot less time in the shop over the past few years. I am getting back into the shop and have lots of projects to get done.

It would be interesting to find out where some of our long lost woodnetters are now. Like the young pup Ryan, or CT and her fabulous workbench. There are a few more, but those two stuck out in my mind.

I still sneak around in the basement from time to time, and it is not near as bad as it was a few years back.
(11-26-2019, 12:07 PM)Mike Brady Wrote:   It could be that platforms such as this one are victims of evolution and that other media have taken over.

Instagram has "stolen" visitors from all forums as it is totally picture-friendly. It is sexy, to use one marketer's saying.

Woodcentral feels like dying; almost like the same few people posting. When the current owner decides to retire, and couldn't find a new owner, it will die. Sometimes, there are no new posts for days. It must be a few years or more the last time I posted something there.

But it's the lack of new topics that is driving people away. Sharpening, old tools, new tools, etc. things that have been asked, answered or discussed millions of times. Forums are like dinosaurs...just a matter of time that they'll die out of falling behind other modern technologies or media developments. So will blogs (most of them, that's).

Simon
I haven't logged in at WC in probably 10 years.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

We're getting older/more experienced and repeated topics become stale. I would contend fewer new people are entering the hobby portion of woodworking, and depending upon how tech savvy they are, may be using other venues for their quest for knowledge.

To a lesser extent, the "newness" of the forums, over the past few decades, has worn thin, and actually wearing on the owners of the forums/moderators. Personalities of forum participants come forward on forums, and as happens in in person, some become your friends, while others are the pains you avoid in person.

I've belonged, at one time or another, to all of the major forums (never Facebook!), but the ones I visit are WN and SMC. Once in a while, there are one or two others, when I want to be insulted (might be why I visit so infrequently?).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(11-26-2019, 11:09 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I haven't logged in at WC in probably 10 years.

Ok, then you are missing a long thread about hand-making lead pencils.
Rolleyes
(11-27-2019, 02:53 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Ok, then you are missing a long thread about hand-making lead pencils.
Rolleyes

Really....
Laugh
Currently have other things in the fire.
Uhoh  Rebuilding a chainsaw carb.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

You have to remember that as we get older so do our memories, so we have to post the same old questions over and over, and I still don't know most of the answers!