Long 1/8" router bit?
I have a 1/8" spiral bit (Whiteside, I think) that fits my trim router, but is too short for my table router. Does anyone make a long version? Searches are coming up short. End mill would be fine, as long as it has a 1/4" shank to fit my small collet.

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-30-2019, 02:15 PM)Aram Wrote: I have a 1/8" spiral bit (Whiteside, I think) that fits my trim router, but is too short for my table router. Does anyone make a long version? Searches are coming up short. End mill would be fine, as long as it has a 1/4" shank to fit my small collet.

Thanks.

The longer the bit the more weaker it becomes after a certain size. Amana makes a longer one.
https://www.toolstoday.com/v-12866-51731.html
(11-30-2019, 03:16 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: The longer the bit the more weaker it becomes after a certain size. Amana makes a longer one.
https://www.toolstoday.com/v-12866-51731.html

Thank you! Absolutely true, but for what I use this for, it should work fine.

Thanks for the link.

[EDIT] Thanks, but that is a 1/4" cutter. I need 1/8" on the cutting end.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Abram
look at white side router bits for inlay
i have also seen them buy a different co just can not think of who maybe the co that bought eagle tool name escapes me right now
google this " white side kit 9500 for solid brass inlay"
it has a 1/4 shank bit with a 1/8 cutter i am almost certain the bit can be had separately of the kit i have one it is slightly fragile
sorry i can not link you to the sight i am tec challenged
(11-30-2019, 03:23 PM)Aram Wrote: Thank you! Absolutely true, but for what I use this for, it should work fine.

Thanks for the link.

[EDIT] Thanks, but that is a 1/4" cutter. I need 1/8" on the cutting end.

Thats weird I could have sworn the link was for the longer version
Sad
(11-30-2019, 03:59 PM)oakey Wrote: Abram
look at white side router bits for inlay
i have also seen them buy a different co just can not think of who maybe  the co that bought eagle tool name escapes me right now
google this  " white side kit 9500 for solid brass inlay"
it has a 1/4 shank bit with a 1/8 cutter i am almost certain the bit can be had separately of the kit  i have one it is slightly fragile  
sorry i can not link you to the sight i am  tec challenged

Thank you. That is the kit I own -- that's where I got the bit I have. It's not very long. For good reason, of course.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(11-30-2019, 04:05 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: Thats weird I could have sworn the link was for the longer version
Sad

Oh, it is. 

But I need 1/4" shank to fit my collet, tapering down to 1/8" at the cutting end. But with a long shank. I believe the one you linked to meets the long length requirement, but it has a 1/4" cutting end. If I am reading it correctly.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Abram
the bit i have is 3 and 1/8 long i can not see a name on it
i have one still in a box says whiteside it is 2 inches long
try mlcs theirs does not say the length but i believe that is were the real long one came from it is carbide
amana does have some longer ones as already stated
would a collet extension work ?
(11-30-2019, 04:51 PM)oakey Wrote: would a collet extension  work ?

Well that's smart. Thank you. I didn't know they existed until now.
Best,
Aram, always learning

I was batching out a project earlier this year that required a bunch of stopped 1/8" dadoes along the grain, about a quarter of an inch deep. Snapped two Freud 1/8 spirals in fairly rapid succession. Switched to a Whiteside RD1600 because it was available at the local Woodcraft, and I figured I might as well snap cheaper bits. Still on the same Whiteside bit some 60 dadoes later. So for what it is worth, I'd also stick with the bit you have, and go with a collet extender if necessary.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!