I did a dumb thing
I couldn't find a "stupid" icon for the thread.

I recently rescued (lol) a "Pear" tree branch that fell. After prepping/storing the branch, I sliced off a hunk to make a smallish (5" rim) bowl. My plan was to make it a twice turned bowl. So, I ruffed up the blank and put it in the paper bag. The other day I pull it out and looked at it to discover that I turned it way to thin for a twice turn reality.

I shook my head and wondered what the heck was I thinking.
If you have not returned it how do you know it is to shallow?   You can always try it and if you have to adjust the depth of the sides then do so.  Who knows maybe you will just have something outstanding.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Oh I tried returning, but it didn't work out. Lesson learned. I have to admit, I surprised myself at the what seems to me to be a silly mistake.
(12-01-2019, 11:52 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: I couldn't find a "stupid" icon for the thread.

I recently rescued (lol) a "Pear" tree branch that fell. After prepping/storing the branch, I sliced off a hunk to make a smallish (5" rim) bowl. My plan was to make it a twice turned bowl. So, I ruffed up the blank and put it in the paper bag. The other day I pull it out and looked at it to discover that I turned it way to thin for a twice turn reality.

I shook my head and wondered what the heck was I thinking.
Sometimes it's not remembering that the greater the annual ring curve the greater the distortion, but sometimes it's an unnoticed surprise.  Imagine we've all turned a piece from close to a former branch and found things too out of round when the blank dried.  For branches, I'm of the school of turn to thin and make a flat bottom after the warp. Folks buy 'em anyway, though.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
You're right MichaelMouse. Myself, I actually prefer a warped bowl (with a stable foot) to a round bowl. I don't know what I was thinking about exactly, when I put that bowl in the bag.