Advice sought on skew handle
Question 
I did it... bought the Thompson Skew (the big one). As you can see from the photo below, it has a rectangular tongue. Have to make a handle, so I would like to get advice on how to create the cavity for the tongue. All help is appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are some youtube videos on hidden tang knives. The basic idea is to mark out the periphery on the handle end and use your drill press to drill within that rectangle and use a chisel to remove the material in the corners.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(12-02-2019, 08:09 PM)SteveS Wrote: There are some youtube videos on hidden tang knives. The basic idea is to mark out the periphery on the handle end and use your drill press to drill within that rectangle and use a chisel to remove the material in the corners.

+1
That's what I would do.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(12-02-2019, 09:01 PM)sniper Wrote: +1
That's what I would do.

Look for a video by RoboHippy on The woodturning forum. He show how to make one for his similar scraper, the big ugly,  and I made one that works well.
Ed
(12-02-2019, 06:03 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: I did it... bought the Thompson Skew (the big one). As you can see from the photo below, it has a rectangular tongue. Have to make a handle, so I would like to get advice on how to create the cavity for the tongue. All help is appreciated.

Drill a hole. Turn a dowel to fit the hole. Cut out the center of the dowel equal to the thickness of the tang. Use each side of the dowel to make a sandwich of the tang. Use epoxy. Here is a video I did that covers handle making on a flat tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbbK02iUj3Q
Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."
Thank you all for the responses. I think I'm good to go.

By the Way, good video Mike. I saw those plates of steel from China and I am going to look into that. I may be able to make a bedan and/or parting tool, with one of those cheap China HSS plates or squares.
(12-04-2019, 01:27 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: Thank you all for the responses. I think I'm good to go.
LIL.  Two pieces of 1X1 1/2 hardwood, chosen as close to quartersawn as possible.  Chisel (or router) makes easy half-thickness depth openings.  Glue the two together, turn to contour, and add a ferrule or wire wrap if you don't trust the glue.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Have you thought about making a three piece wood tool handle? Using two same size blanks (outside pieces) one piece thinner than tool tang. Simply lay tool tang on thinner piece and mark out width & length, cut away waste leaving mark out lines. Simply glue three pieces with carpenters glue, clamp, allow to cure! Turn your handle, sand & finish, install ferrule, Inset tool tang and pound end of tool with mallet or dead blow hammer until tool seated in handle. If cut you slot too big just epoxy glue tool to handle!

Could not find illustration online of what talking about but procedure once was real common.
Bill
Bill said, "Have you thought about making a three piece wood tool handle?"

Yes. After visiting the "robo hippy" and Mike's video, I found another video from the "WorthEffort" guy. The latter video sounded good to me and I will go with a 3 piece handle.
Just as a follow up, here is the finished handle. Hickory and Brazillian Cherry ( I think ). Had scraps laying around.
I made the inside cavity just a hair to small and one part of the Hickory split. The split doesn't feel bad on my hand, so I'll use it for a while and see how it goes. I went with a short handle, so I could swing the tool in front of my body. I intend to use this for plaining cuts and beads.

Attached Files Image(s)