chusel sharpening
Wet-dry from an auto supply store works fine.  When the highest grit you have in your rotation starts to break down a little that's when it really gets good.

If you take the backs of chisels and planes irons up through the grits through 5,000 to 7,000 you'll never need 'ruler tricks' or any of that silliness.  The backs will be as flat and polished as you'd ever need.  After that, just chase the burr on the highest grit paper.  Stropping is purely optional with these fine grits and might even move you back a few levels in terms of polish.  A worn piece of 7,000 grit paper, with the grit almost completely expended, makes a fine 'strop' anyway - better than the green stuff on leather and you won't risk losing flatness.
While at the auto parts store, pick up a quart (only size) of DuPont Perfect-It III. I paid about $10.00 for it about a dozen years ago, and still about 3/4 full. Use that on a piece of MDF to go to a mirror polish.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
There is one thing about all this "Mirror Polish" stuff.....Butter knives are also done to a mirror polish......
Rolleyes think on that a bit...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-21-2019, 10:24 AM)bandit571 Wrote: There is one thing about all this "Mirror Polish" stuff.....Butter knives are also done to a mirror polish......

Polish is unavoidable regardless of the media.  There's simply no way to use planes and chisels and not have the backs achieve a degree of polish. You're rubbing tool steel on some sort of fine media.  If the steel isn't polished over time, then the laws of material physics have been suspended.

The only way they don't get polished is if they're rarely used.

A mirror polish is great as long as geometry is not lost.
Polish is related to technique and substrate.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I tend to be more concerned with the sharpness of the edge.....if'n I want to see myself, I go look in the bathroom mirror.  

So..is the goal to get the edge as sharp as can be.....or just make a hand mirror.....
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-21-2019, 10:33 AM)CStan Wrote: ... If the steel isn't polished over time, then the laws of material physics have been suspended...

Hey Charles, good to see you here. Love your comment!

(totally agree)

Regards from Vienna

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thumbs Up 
(12-21-2019, 01:02 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hey Charles, good to see you here. Love your comment!

(totally agree)

Regards from Vienna

Derek

Don't eat too many sausages!
(12-21-2019, 10:24 AM)bandit571 Wrote: There is one thing about all this "Mirror Polish" stuff.....Butter knives are also done to a mirror polish......

So are steel ball bearings, but they don't cut.   ...think on that a bit...
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-22-2019, 10:16 AM)AHill Wrote: So are steel ball bearings, but they don't cut.   ...think on that a bit...

Yes  
Laugh ...reduce friction...polish the surface......
Cool....Leather belt

[Image: P1020258.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset