Handcarved Wood Bowl (ala David Fisher)
(01-06-2020, 08:20 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Earl, thank you for sharing the process.  About how many hours do you have in the featured bow?

Your first two bowls looked great from here; cannot believe you tossed them.

You're welcome, Bill.  If I had to estimate, I would say it probably takes me more than 20 hours total.  And that is because I often need to stop and review one of David Fisher's videos for some of the finer points.  (I really can't say enough about the quality of his instruction in those videos.)  I am a very slow learner when it comes to learning a new woodworking task.  Although I already knew how to sharpen bench chisels and plane blades, I had to learn to sharpen an axe, adze, carving gouges, and spokeshave blades.  

Regarding my first two bowls, my photo mercifully showed the "nicest" parts of them.  At the time I made them, I truly didn't understand how to shape the bottom of either bowl and did a fine job of messing up both bowls.  As a matter of course, I oftentimes keep my "first attempts" at a new task, so as to provide me with reminders of the many errors made on that piece.  However, my little shop is far too crowded, so I decided to let those two bowls go.

Earl
(01-06-2020, 09:49 AM)AHill Wrote: +1 to what Jack said.  I have the tools, and such a bowl is on my bucket list.  Living in Orlando, there are plenty of clear cut construction sites with beacoup sources of green wood for bowls and turning.

Having visited Orlando during the Summer of 2018, I believe your humidity beats mine!  I would only suggest that you use the wood as soon as possible after it is cut, and not let it begin drying.  
Have fun!

Earl
(01-06-2020, 10:52 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Very nice work, they are bowls I would display in MY home. Excellent job.

Wink

That is a very nice compliment.  Thank you for that.  And thank you for your service to our great nation, Sir!

Mahalo!
Earl
(01-06-2020, 01:14 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: David Fisher's work (and now yours) is so inspirational that I have a dozen or so log chunks from Hawaii (thanks ebay) awaiting my getting started.
As a NYR I've started on a piece of aromatic cedar. The piece is dry but soft enough I'm enjoying the hollowing process.

Thank you, Chuck!  I really like using the adze and axe.  But as David Fisher describes it, that only accounts for about 10% of the work.  The remaining 90% is made up of the finishing cuts using gouges, a drawknife, and spokeshave.  

Enjoy the Process!

Earl
(01-06-2020, 05:23 PM)Aram Wrote: Terrific job! those look fantastic. I love the interior texture. 

Keep posting!

Thank you, Aram!  And I agree - the gouged texture of the bowl's interior is what attracted me to this type of bowl in the first place. 

Earl
WOW! Great bowl carving and beautiful wood to do it with. Those throw-away bowls looks just fine also.

What really caught my attention was that low bench you use for some of the initial carving and another small bench used towards the end. Could you start another post on those please? I can easily see that first low bench as a dual purpose piece. End table that doubles as a work bench or triples as extra seating.
If you have another log blank with that kind of twisting growth, perhaps you could reflect that in a 'twisting' rim.
(This from someone with lots of ideas and much less execution...)
(01-06-2020, 11:11 PM)thomaskila Wrote: I live in Kapolei, on O'ahu.  How about you?

Earl

Big Island. Just south of Hilo. Enjoying all the rain? Are you going to put anything in the upcoming Punahau show?
VH07V  
(01-11-2020, 02:16 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Big Island. Just south of Hilo. Enjoying all the rain? Are you going to put anything in the upcoming Punahau show?
Well, Kapolei is much like the Kona side of the Big Island.  Very hot and very dry.  I am not aware of any upcoming shows.  And I've never even considered showing my work like that.  I simply do not believe my work would be interesting enough for others to want to look at.  Not trying to be modest - just honest.
(01-10-2020, 12:42 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: If you have another log blank with that kind of twisting growth, perhaps you could reflect that in a 'twisting' rim.
(This from someone with lots of ideas and much less execution...)

Chuck,
Funny you should say that.  I did have a piece with a "twisting rim".  Unfortunately the knots were too numerous and large to effectively work around them.  

Earl