Ridgid OSS technique?
With my new Ridgid spindle sander I’m sanding fenders for my toy project.  I find I’m getting beautiful smooth inside curves and lousy humpy outside curves. Is this my technique? Or is it more what the tool is designed to do best?  It’s not a big deal because I can just switch to the old Craftsman 9 inch disk sander and get beautiful outside curves. But if it’s just my technique I’d like to correct it.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Are you using the belt or the spindle on the outside curves?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Outside curves on a spindle sander are problematic.  You'll end up with uneven curves, gouges, and divots.  At least that's been my experience.

When I want to do outside curves on my Ridgid, I use the belt sander setup.
(01-10-2020, 12:29 PM)stoppy Wrote: With my new Ridgid spindle sander I’m sanding fenders for my toy project.  I find I’m getting beautiful smooth inside curves and lousy humpy outside curves. Is this my technique? Or is it more what the tool is designed to do best?  It’s not a big deal because I can just switch to the old Craftsman 9 inch disk sander and get beautiful outside curves. But if it’s just my technique I’d like to correct it.

Spindle sanders don't do a good job on outside curves. The best you can hope for is to install the larges diameter spindle and go slow. Outside, flat profile, curves should be done against a flat belt/disk if you insist on power-sanding them.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(01-10-2020, 12:43 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Are you using the belt or the spindle on the outside curves?

Spindle and based on other replies I should be using the belt option.  That being the case I’ll use the old Craftsman 9 inch disk. Have good luck with that.
Jim

There is a good chance
(01-10-2020, 02:19 PM)stoppy Wrote: Spindle and based on other replies I should be using the belt option.  That being the case I’ll use the old Craftsman 9 inch disk. Have good luck with that.

That's probably your best option.  Controlling the workpiece when presenting it to the abrasive surface is probably going to be easiest with a disk sander and associated table.  If I had one, that's what I'd do.

I like my Ridgid combo sander.  But, like most combo machines, there are tradeoffs.
I did two more fenders, did the inside on the spindle and outside on the disk and cut sanding time by 2/3's.
Jim

There is a good chance
Like others said - hard on outside curves.   I use mine a lot.  Has it's limitations but overall good for the price.  It's really neat is how fast it is to go from belt to spindle mode. 

The main key is not to use a lot of pressure - let the paper do the work.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
There's a gap in the area of the belt near the narrow end where the flat plate behind the belt ends and the roller. I like to use that since there's a little give to soften outside curves.
Benny

I also picked up a basically new grizzly 12" disc sander that I don't know how I lived without...
Benny