My first tool handle
A while ago, I got a carbide detailer from jaustin, so I needed to make a handle! Saturday night, the wife wasn't feeling well, so she went to bed at 9, and since I still had some prednisone in my system (thanks, sinuses!), I decided to head out to the garage rather than veg on the couch. I wanted to make it out of mulberry, but I would have needed to do a glue up. I had a nice fat chunk of walnut leftover from making an end-grain chess board, so I decided to work with that. 90 minutes later...

[Image: y-LVaAxApjODv6xZ_45_EZxI_guuGFwWlADBJzRj...80-h640-no]

This turning stuff is dangerously fast... I can see myself getting addicted! 

Better shot of the aluminum ferrule (is that the proper name?). I was going to go get a copper fitting, but I got antsy and didn't want to wait a day, so I cut a piece of scrap tubing I had and epoxied it on when I slid the bar in. Came out nice and clean.

[Image: 5XWbAKSOGOJqWEoHe5jb_45NG9Qve5rd4GUPsCED...80-h640-no]

Shot of what the bar looks like out of the package. I had drilled the hole, but hadn't turned down for the ferrule, because I hadn't decided on material yet.

[Image: B_7uZ3jf4ifxN7OBI69GiKGrcTy9dizgaEx8Cr8x...40-h480-no]

Thanks for looking! I think my next tool will be an entirely home made shear scraper.
Benny

Nicely done. Most if mine are red oak. It's what I had and am not real fond of it in most of my segmented stuff. Works great for handles though.
Well done!!

For more ferrule material, Amazon sells short lengths of all sizes of thin wall brass tubing....etc etc.
And it's not all that expensive
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-15-2020, 02:27 PM)bennybmn Wrote: A while ago, I got a carbide detailer from jaustin, so I needed to make a handle! Saturday night, the wife wasn't feeling well, so she went to bed at 9, and since I still had some prednisone in my system (thanks, sinuses!), I decided to head out to the garage rather than veg on the couch. I wanted to make it out of mulberry, but I would have needed to do a glue up. I had a nice fat chunk of walnut leftover from making an end-grain chess board, so I decided to work with that. 90 minutes later...

[Image: y-LVaAxApjODv6xZ_45_EZxI_guuGFwWlADBJzRj...80-h640-no]

This turning stuff is dangerously fast... I can see myself getting addicted! 

Better shot of the aluminum ferrule (is that the proper name?). I was going to go get a copper fitting, but I got antsy and didn't want to wait a day, so I cut a piece of scrap tubing I had and epoxied it on when I slid the bar in. Came out nice and clean.

[Image: 5XWbAKSOGOJqWEoHe5jb_45NG9Qve5rd4GUPsCED...80-h640-no]

Shot of what the bar looks like out of the package. I had drilled the hole, but hadn't turned down for the ferrule, because I hadn't decided on material yet.

[Image: B_7uZ3jf4ifxN7OBI69GiKGrcTy9dizgaEx8Cr8x...40-h480-no]

Thanks for looking! I think my next tool will be an entirely home made shear scraper.

Nice Job on the handle, make sure to post pictures of the home made tool also when you get it made.
ncwoodturningtools.com
Nice job!

Ferrules can also be made from PVC. Not as pretty as the metal, but just as functional.
And cheap.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm an engineer for a company that manufactures good size machines, so we have quite the scrap bin in the machine shop. There's often small cutoffs of SS, Al, and copper tubing. Not necessarily a good size, but I check often. Enough people use the scrap bins to get rid of things like brake rotors or other personal scrap that the shop foreman is cool with a little dumpster diving. So a couple times a week I take a walk back there and see what's new. I also got the legs for my work bench from a huge pallet they were literally going to cut up and toss. We can't re-use them to ship if they're not certified bug-free. Not a bad gig for a hobbyist!
Benny

Well done Benny!

It seems your spindle turning is doing quite well.
Yes   Justin makes nice tools and lot of us have his stuff and I want to get quite a bit to give out.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yeah I ordered some more cutters from him for the tools I alreadyy have, too. I'll definitely do business with him again.
Benny

Looks good... well done.
Thanks!
17 characters...
Benny