Newest addition to my addiction maybe
I got this plane at an auction last night. It is a Stanley No.278 and I didn't have a clue as to what  it was. The wife just got on ebay and had the answer in a minute or two. I know now that it is a rabbit and fillister plane. It seams that this plane is not so common and the prices jump all over the place.  I do but I am wondering what the whole is for. 

I have all the screws loose including the nickers on both sided. It seems that I am missing the fence and am wondering if a fence of from a 78 will fit.

I am also trying to decide if I should keep it and restore it of post it for sale on the forum. Since I am undecided I would like to here what the general consensus is on this plane because I am definitely  not a collector.

[attachment=23653]

[attachment=23654]

[attachment=23655]

Tom
I have one and the fence and rod from a 78 do fit that plane.
(01-30-2020, 05:31 PM)johndi Wrote: I have one and the fence and rod from a 78 do fit that plane.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I kind of thought they would kind of interchange or at least was hoping they would.

Tom
This might help
(01-30-2020, 07:14 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: Thank you for taking the time to reply. I kind of thought they would kind of interchange or at least was hoping they would.

Tom

You at least have the depth stop, which is good, but need a rod and a fence, and the #78 variety will fit but will not be correct, so not actually interchangeable.  Original fences for these are like hen's teeth, so you may not have any choice, but if its your user go for it.  This is a collectable item, so lack of the proper fence will affect value.

Nice find.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Cripes I must have a treasure.  I have the fence for my 278 and it looks a little better to.  I got it about 8 years ago for I think $30 but do not remember.  I did not have a regular 78 at the time and wanted to try rabbits and this one was cheaper at the time than the 78's.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-31-2020, 12:58 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Cripes I must have a treasure.  I have the fence for my 278 and it looks a little better to.  I got it about 8 years ago for I think $30 but do not remember.  I did not have a regular 78 at the time and wanted to try rabbits and this one was cheaper at the time than the 78's.

Ha, ha, don't get too excited, I've seen complete ones in great shape at tool swaps for $125....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis