Baby Crib Challenge
Thanks for all of the pics and advise. I did see your cradle before you took the pic down, Broken, and it looked very nice.

GeeDub - My daughter did ask for a matching changing table if/when I build a crib for them, and I really like your design for the conversion. I wasn't sure how to do the conversion from changing table to dresser without risking damage to the finish on the top, but your design looks very good. I may have to borrow that.

ed - My son and daughter-in-law are looking at similar headboard designs like the one you built with a sweeping curve. The sample pics they sent me showed several curves on the sides and foot board too, so I'm looking forward to trying bent lamination.
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
I made one based on Wood magazines plans for a three way crib. Looks similar to Ed's. Good excuse to purchase a Domino jointer - that's what I used to mortise the slats.

Look for a crib bed frame first.

Make sure to look up regulated safety standards. Gives rules on not only slat spacing but also mattress height.

Have fun,
Mike
[color=#000000]I made a crib a few years ago for my grandson.  I used a plywood base with a mattress over it, and threaded inserts to hold cleats to lower the mattress as the child got bigger.  Since they do not allow the sides to lower anymore, I used bed hardware to attach the sides to the front and back.  This will allow us to take it apart and store the crib until it is needed again. more for crib reviews you can read reviews on <MY SPAM SITE>
(02-17-2020, 01:46 PM)BrentDH Wrote: Please do not take this wrong.  It is intended to be a considerate suggestion given in the most polite manner possible.

I don't want to burst your "grandpa" balloon, but....     Are you sure you want to build a crib for your grandchildren?  I hear about all of these people who want to make cribs and I cringe a little bit.  Do you really want to spend that much time and expense building something that they will use for a couple of years and then have to store for the rest of their lives because Dad/Grandpa made it and we can't get rid of it?  Don't get me wrong, I am all for building things for the grandkids, I am just not sure a crib is the answer.  Even if it converts to a toddler bed there are still the extra pieces to store, and then what about when they outgrow the toddler bed?  And I have not even mentioned the safety concerns.  Cribs nowadays have so many requirements you may not even be aware of.  I would use the money that you would have used on materials and buy them a crib.  Then if you want to build them something build them toys or full size beds or other bedroom furniture.  

When your kids are done having kids put the purchased crib on facebook marketplace or craigslist and have it be gone.

I built a crib 36 years ago.  We used it for 4 kids.  Then we "loaned" it to friends.  My guess is that it was moved a number of times over the years in that family and about 20 babies have used it.  Now it's back at my friends house so when great grand kids come over they have a place to stay. 

Yes it's a risk.  But I really like the idea of how many babies I know that have used it.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Kind of late to the table with this, but here are the Consumer Products Safety Commission rules for the manufacture of baby cribs.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Regulations-Laws--S...Size-Cribs

An interesting and useful tip:  A soda can is the same size as the maximum space between slats.  A handy way to check on slat spacing.  

New specifications are listed here (the old specs still must be adhered to).

The five new key requirements of the standard are:
  • Traditional drop-side cribs cannot be made or sold; immoblizers and repair kits are not allowed
  • Wood slats must be made of stronger woods to prevent breakage.
  • Crib hardware must have anti-loosening devices to keep it from coming loose or falling off.
  • Mattress supports must be more durable.
  • Safety testing must be more rigorous.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
We were given a "family heirloom" when our first was expected. I had to strip the paint, and refinish it, lots of work. We knew it was mostly for "photo ops" and to make the Grandparents proud. Well we've stored it for 10 years and recently two nieces and nephews announced births to be, so we offered them the cradle, and all of a sudden nobody wants it or cares about it. We tried to sell it on Craigs list and a garage sale but nobody wants it. It would even be neat for a place to store stuffed toys.

I'm not preaching or even suggesting, just my story.
I was able to get the crib built for my son and daughter-in-law and delivered it in August last year. I created separate post for the 'build along' photos HERE.

I appreciate all of the info posted here for safety specs and parts requirements. I found it very challenging to find any info on this type of furniture.

I had so much fun building this and it was a great challenge. I was able to utilize some new power tool techniques and incorporate new hand tool techniques andI am proud to say that I only made 1 mistake during this build (which is absolutely amazing). With that being said, I made sure they understood that this was built for the grandson to use as long as he can (it converts from crib, to toddler bed, to full bed). If he goes off to college, or the service, or whatever and doesn't need it anymore, they can do with it what they want because it has fulfilled the purpose it was built for. I would love it if they kept it or he kept it and passed it on, but I know times change and tastes change. 

I get what you are saying about 'family heirlooms', toolmiser. Things don't seem to go from generation to generation the way they used to, at least not as many things. I know my parents have very little furniture that has any significance to me because its all been replaced over the years and none of it is the same as when I was growing up. My dad did hand down to me a toy garage that was built for him by his uncle (a cabinet maker) when my dad was just 4 or 5. And then me and my brothers played with it when we were kids. It was built in the 50's out of plywood and hardboard and has little to no 'value', but to me it's priceless. I proudly display this used and worn toy in my shop and I see it every time I go in. After I'm done with it, I'm not sure what will happen to it...

I'm just waiting for the request for the next crib.
Big Grin
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
Ben, of Home Town on HGTV built a baby crib.  I was extremely surprised that he used pocket screws in areas where they are plainly visible.  I've seen him build with mortices and tenons before. 

Just 45 seconds, so take a look:

https://www.facebook.com/hgtv.ca/videos/...646551474/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-16-2020, 08:08 AM)Darknight Wrote: I can't find a dealer for the mattress 'platform' or spring frame (not really sure what it's called) or the hanging hardware.  On some old posts here I saw links to Products America but they must be out of business

I actually have one that I purchased from Products America several years ago and frankly am about to simply throw it away for lack of a use for it and since I'll be moving soon.  It's in perfect condition.  I'm in Rochester NY, not sure how much it would cost to ship it to you.