Small cabinet build-along
(03-08-2020, 06:43 PM)Aram Wrote: [Image: i-fDDPBm3-M.jpg]

That was stupid. I'm not using this joinery on the short ones, just the long ones.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(03-08-2020, 06:43 PM)Aram Wrote: Routed mortises on the top frame pieces. I don't know why it takes me so long to do this stuff. 

[Image: i-fDDPBm3-M.jpg]

I just have to keep in mind that nearly every youtube video depicting someone getting stuff done quickly has had massive editing done to it. But even though I KNOW that, it still doesn't make me feel better about how slow I am. Probably because I'm even slower than you think you are.

I was listening to one of the last episodes of the Nick Ferry podcast the other day with Bob Kloes, and I could be mistaken but I think I heard him say he has, or at one time had, more than thirty routers all set up different ways. I have three and thought that was more than average. But no. If you want speed, you have to eliminate as much set-up time as possible.
If you post the router question in power tools, you will see that you have far less than average.  Some posters there have 20 or more.
Made some progress on the joinery, so I can move on the the fun parts soon.

I have a friend with way more CDs than I have, and I have a lot. He tells me about record companies I have never heard of. Then I spend money on more music. I don't think I like my friend. Bear Family records is a German outfit that releases mostly vintage American music in big box sets, with fun things like outtakes, and amazingly clear sound. I've been binging on Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings. All great.

I made some mini legs, which I mortised to test the fit of one of the mitered frames. It looks promising.

[Image: i-fsT2cBS-M.jpg]

So I routed the real deals.

[Image: i-dM5G5Qq-M.jpg]

My daughter never got interested in woodworking. The one tool she had fun playing with as a kid was my plow plane. Of course -- who wouldn't? I made grooves in the frame pieces to take panels.

[Image: i-q8hzGbT-M.jpg]

Router tables are for sissies.

[Image: i-5QF4bTt-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(03-14-2020, 09:35 PM)Aram Wrote: Made some progress on the joinery, so I can move on the the fun parts soon.

I have a friend with way more CDs than I have, and I have a lot. He tells me about record companies I have never heard of. Then I spend money on more music. I don't think I like my friend. Bear Family records is a German outfit that releases mostly vintage American music in big box sets, with fun things like outtakes, and amazingly clear sound. I've been binging on Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings. All great.

I made some mini legs, which I mortised to test the fit of one of the mitered frames. It looks promising.

[Image: i-fsT2cBS-M.jpg]

So I routed the real deals.

[Image: i-dM5G5Qq-M.jpg]

My daughter never got interested in woodworking. The one tool she had fun playing with as a kid was my plow plane. Of course -- who wouldn't? I made grooves in the frame pieces to take panels.

[Image: i-q8hzGbT-M.jpg]

Router tables are for sissies.

[Image: i-5QF4bTt-M.jpg]

aram thanks for the build along cant wait to see how it comes out. i think the plow plane is one of the funist tool to use too     jerry
Still working my way through the Waylon box set, and finishing this part of the joinery. Routed recesses for splines to help hold the miters together.

[Image: i-XwXWKw3-M.jpg]

Made all the loose tenons and splines. You don't need to see that, do you? First dry fit at this very rough stage.

[Image: i-vQC2gKD-M.jpg]

I checked a few fundamental things. The top miters look pretty good; I think they'll pull up tight. The lower ones might need a little tweaking. Not much, but possibly a few shavings. Photo with the cabinet lying on its front.

[Image: i-cKLp3gs-M.jpg]

The frame pieces are indeed perpendicular to the legs. This will be an immense help later, as I will be adding drawers. The legs are slightly twisted with respect to each other. This might be problematic, as I will be insetting the veneered pieces in the sides, and joining them with splines. If the inside faces are not parallel to each other, but are slightly toed in or out, that won't work. Hopefully I can trace the reason and correct it.
Best,
Aram, always learning

One little trick I learned a long time ago..

Is to make a set of these.   Called corner glue blocks.   They will pull things into square, and be tight..a dab of glue, and one screw into either each apron, or a frame.

Legs not lining up?   Not enough clamps....I usually have one "high" and one "low" 

Like when I glued the back apron to the two side assemblies....

And when the assemblies were glued up, as well.

As I don't trust band clamps....
No
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(03-15-2020, 09:21 PM)bandit571 Wrote: One little trick I learned a long time ago..

Is to make a set of these.   Called corner glue blocks.   

As I don't trust band clamps....
No

Hey Bandit,

I have used corner blocks on tables. This cabinet has virtually no dead space. There is no room for them. I'm going to have to get it to pull square and tight without such a device. 

During glue-up, I will be using more than the band clamps. However, they are very useful for this sort of dry fit.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Hey al! I hope you are doing well in this crazy time. I don't have much to show for the last week. But that doesn't mean I didn't accomplish anything. I'm still working, fortunately. In my off hours I spent a lot of time dialing in the design. What I want aesthetically and what lends itself to straightforward joinery are two different things. I'm going for looks. I have do a plan now for holding wood to wood. I'll find out the hard way if it works.

More country music -- more Waylon, Jim Reeves (I just found out about him), and some other hillbilly stuff.

The upper frame is wide for a couple of reasons. One, I like the look. Two, I have a plank I can resaw two slices from and edge glue them, making a perfect-sized panel. I want to use that specific board -- same one I used to make veneer for the sides. If I narrowed the frame pieces, it wouldn't fit.

On the other hand, there's no reason for the lower frame to be so wide. Most if it will be hidden. One section of the cabinet will have a shelf or two, behind a door. The section behind the door is not wide, and the current frame would overwhelm it. So I ripped the lower frame pieces much narrower, and remade the panel grooves with the plow plane. Lower frame is on the left.

[Image: i-fmkCtgS-M.jpg]

On the upper frame, the long pieces attach to the legs with the loose tenons. The short pieces attach to the long pieces -- but not to the legs -- with the splines I showed before. The lower ones are too narrow for splines. In fact, I had to patch what little was left of the spline grooves before the plow plane work. So the long, lower pieces attach to the legs. Right now, the short, lower ones don't attach to anything. As I said, I have a plan. We'll see.

I need at least one cross piece (front to back) on the bottom, to hold the floor panel for the door compartment. Although I don't strictly need it, I'm adding a second one to support a vertical divider between two sections of drawers. They will be joined to the front frame by mortise and tenon, wider than the panel groove. This will locate the cross pieces precisely. At the rear, I'll just use a tenon that fits into the panel groove. 

You all know how this stuff works, but a couple pics along the way.

The top of the mortise is the existing panel groove. The bottom goes lower, into the bottom lip. Marking gauge to define how low to go.

[Image: i-bSqxZwm-M.jpg]

Mark the edges. An Xacto was the only thing I could fit inside.

[Image: i-fvxgChj-M.jpg]

[Image: i-9gKW9Jd-M.jpg]

Knife deeply and repeatedly to keep the edges clean. Chisel in between.

[Image: i-4d8x6zt-M.jpg]

End result.

[Image: i-QxWMLtB-M.jpg]

No action pics, but I made the matching tenons on the fronts of the cross pieces. Marking gauge, saws, chisels, router plane. Overdid it with the router plane (twice), glued stock back on, remade more carefully.

[Image: i-35Vj8Hb-M.jpg]

The fit is very good.

[Image: i-cPfPCwQ-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

I have been waiting all week for more.  I do not understand what you did but it looks great on the fit.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.