Concrete tile roof in Florida-Inspection?
Just moved to Southwest Florida and bought a home with a concrete tile roof, as is so common here. They are the flat tiles that look much like slate, but much thicker. Our home inspector didn't check the roof. But I noticed a couple of slightly displaced tiles with cracks. So it needs further evaluation.

Can anyone give me advice on an inspection of the entire roof? Is it OK to have an inspector walk the roof or would a drone be better? 

Thanks for any advice!

Fred
An inspector won't walk on a slate, metal, terra-cotta or concrete roof. Usually (if not always) this is in the manufacturer's recommendations. It's also in most state's SOP (standard operating procedures). I don't know about Florida but most states use the ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) SOP or the state may have their own SOP or have amended the ASHI SOP for their use. I know Florida has a Wind Mitigation addition in their SOP. The inspector's insurance carrier won't cover damages if he walks on one of these types or roofs.

So the inspection is conducted with a drone, or with binoculars and from inside the attic. That constitutes an inspection compliant with the SOP of these types of roofs.

The inspector should have noticed the cracks but maybe he/she missed them. If the roof isn't leaking with visible signs in the attic, the roof is performing it's intended function, the inspector would list it as satisfactory.

If I saw the cracks and didn't see any leaking. I would have noted the cracks in the report and also noted the roof is functioning properly. But, I would have also stated "recommend further evaluation by a qualified roofing contractor certified by the roofing manufacture and repair if necessary". Generally this recommendation is passed along to the seller by the buyer's agent prior to closing. But the seller isn't bound to repair it. Generally the contract between the buyer and seller has an Inspection Contingency to let the buyer out of the contract based on the inspection report, unless the house is sold "as is" with no inspection contencency.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-27-2020, 05:58 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The inspector should have noticed the cracks but maybe he/she missed them. If the roof isn't leaking with visible signs in the attic, the roof is performing it's intended function, the inspector would list it as satisfactory. 

Snipe

Are those 'shingles' all there is, as in there is no membrane underneath?  Or is there some sheet of rubber or similar under those?  I've always wondered about that but never took it any further since we don't have that way up here.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Should have felt or other membrane, then lath to hang the shingles. Air space between. A few cracked tiles is not a problem. I used to walk on mine regularly. I installed solar and had hvac equipment up there.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(02-27-2020, 03:09 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Should have felt or other membrane, then lath to hang the shingles.  Air space between.  A few cracked tiles is not a problem.  I used to walk on mine regularly.  I installed solar and had hvac equipment up there.

What Mike said

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-27-2020, 05:58 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The tiles  are not just cracked, but are displaced so that they have slid down a few inches and can be easily seen with binoculars or a ladder without being on the roof.

The installations here are typically done with one layer of felt, then a membrane. The tiles are the flat style and are nailed right to the roof with no wood strips, etc.
Your last paragraph says it all as to what should have been done. I found these with a 14 foot ladder leaned against the house. There are 10+ broken tiles. The builder is coming soon to check/replace tiles. It's obvious to me that the roofers broke these during the install. They walk all over the roofs being installed in my community, with no regard to where they step.

My main concern is making sure that all of the tiles are found and properly replaced. So I wanted to do an inspection when they are finished with repairs. I do have 9 months of warranty left from GL Homes. I also found broken on the 2 homes adjacent to mine! These are new to 6 months old. It's disheartening to have this issue with such an expensive roof. I'm leaning towards a drone inspection...Thanks! 
Oh, you bought the place new?

... Kizar Sosay

(02-28-2020, 08:07 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Oh, you bought the place new?

Yes, and the 2 adjacent neighbors have cracked tiles, too. All 3 homes are less than 6 months old. The roofers that did the install doubtlessly did the damage by walking the roof improperly. GL Homes will repair these up to 1 year. So I was thinking that it's a good idea for an inspection right before my warranty is up in about 9 months. I was going to do it soon, but after looking with a ladder against the house, I think late in the warranty period, and after the repairs are done, is a better time.

So, I'm mainly interested in what type of inspection is best....and making sure that the inspection causes no further issues.