Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball
My first ever resin piece. spalted Crab Apple root ball with resin. Finished with Acks and OB shine Juice
Looks great!!

Second and third things I ever turned (just last year) were this mallet and lamp from Yew root balls from my front yard. CRAZY grain. I hit what I thought was a bark inclusion but turned out to be dirt.  My carbide tool got dull quick lol. But it turned out great so I can't complain.

[Image: 0e8USW7Jf0jV9SeKVhhwjLDjP_gl-IBtfsxqzj7X...84-h640-no]
Benny

Nice work! That turned out really well. Was that HVAC tape you used to contain the resin?
Luke

Looks great! The video went too fast to tell, what was the finish?
Nice job!
VH07V  
Pictures?                                     .
(03-03-2020, 02:19 PM)bennybmn Wrote: Looks great!!

Second and third things I ever turned (just last year) were this mallet and lamp from Yew root balls from my front yard. CRAZY grain. I hit what I thought was a bark inclusion but turned out to be dirt.  My carbide tool got dull quick lol. But it turned out great so I can't complain.

[Image: 0e8USW7Jf0jV9SeKVhhwjLDjP_gl-IBtfsxqzj7X...84-h640-no]

Benny

Is Yew nice to turn??  It sure looks nice.  I tried finding a piece that log that was 8" and I do not even see it for sale on EBay.   I like the lamp.

To poster.

I have not watched the video yet but will tomorrow.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It was nice to turn I think because it was green. It was a PAIN to clean off first, because I literally dug it out of my yard. Actually I yanked it out with my buddy's winch. And it's gnarly, so you need to watch out for pebbles and stuff.
Benny

That is a great video nd beautiful piece. How long did you let the root ball dry before turning?
Pretty spectacular grain and I like the resin additions. One suggestion for next time is to sand using some rotary attachment on a drill (e.g. Tim Skilton pads) or stop every once in awhile and sand from end to end to get rid of the circumferential grooves. Since you've applied a satin to high gloss finish, it's easy to see the sanding marks on the exterior of your vase. It's a common saying among many turners that you spend way more time sanding and finishing than you do turning.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill