turnable solid plastic dowels?
Thought I'd throw this out there and I posted this in HI and Off topic as well

I have these LED landscape lights - picked them up from home depot on closeout  for $1.99 each

They have been great and I bought about 6 extra in case any went out.  So far they all are good and they are on every night from dusk till dawn

These are them  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Low-Voltage-1-2-Watt-Black-Integrated-LED-Landscape-Path-Light-CW4001-08W/300862393

What has happened is between the pups and the landscape crew I now have about 6 that the removable spike in the bottom has broken off

I thought about making a replacement out of wood but in the wet soil here they will rot quickly.  So I thought maybe I can find a plastic dowel (solid) that has a diameter of 3/4" and turn them on the lathe

Any suggestions of where I can find something like that?  Picture of the spike

I have used .75" UHMW dowel rod that I got from EBay and it turns great.  I got a 6' length of it and still have some left.

1" is just a tad more then 3/4"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLYMERSHAPES-R...SwqxZbZSsK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLYMERSHAPES-R...Sw5cNYdsnC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLYMERSHAPES-1...e33077e67a
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks so much Arlin! Appreciate it. Didn't think of UHMW

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh   There is SOOOO much I do not think of even while turning. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
no reason you can't use wood. Ive turned stakes from pressure treated lumber. leave the stake end larger and turn a dowel on one end to fit your light/pipe. drive in the steak first and slide the pipe on the dowel. if the light outlast the steak just turn another. their cheep and will last years.

Don
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
As I said in the other thread, rebar. Aside from never worrying about breaking anything again, you can easily pull the lights to mow or whatever.

My first thought, because I have some, is Corian counter-top material. It's 3/8" thick, so glue 2 pieces together with CA and have fun. A little heavy, but since you're shoving it into the ground, that may be a plus.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I've turned a number of things using HDPE.  Same stuff most milk jugs are made of, but you can buy it in strips and sheets.  Starboard is a brand name, but there are others.  It'll last essentially forever in the ground.

That stuff turns really well.  Makes continuous, long shavings which wrap around the item you're trying to make, so you have to stop every so often and clean out the nest.  

I believe 3/4" is the max thickness, but if you're turning tapers, that only matters at the top, and even then, you're nipping off the corners so you can sneak up on the fit even if the stock is not perfectly centered.

Also consider PVC construction lumber.  Way cheaper, and available in smaller pieces (strips) from the BORGs, but I don't know how it will behave on the lathe.

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"