cutting cement board
I am installing a new bathtub surround.  I will be using cement board.  I will only need to make a few cuts so I do not want to invest heavily in new equipment.  I am hoping I will only need a special blade for one of my existing saws.

I have available:

Circular saw
Jig saw
Sawzall saw
4½" hand held grinder
Multi-tool
Carbide hand scoring knife (originally purchased to size formica)

Suggestions will prove helpful.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've only done it a few times. As I recall, all it required was to simply score it with a common utility knife and then snap it off. Scoring on both sides might result in a cleaner break. A little clean-up might be needed.
(03-16-2020, 09:18 AM)Cooler Wrote: I am installing a new bathtub surround.  I will be using cement board.  I will only need to make a few cuts so I do not want to invest heavily in new equipment.  I am hoping I will only need a special blade for one of my existing saws.

I have available:

Circular saw
Jig saw
Sawzall saw
4½" hand held grinder
Multi-tool
Carbide hand scoring knife (originally purchased to size formica)

Suggestions will prove helpful.

You can score it several times with just a utility knife and break like drywall or a carbide toothed wood blade in the circular saw will work but very dusty, outside only.
 Any of the tools you listed will work fine for a few cuts ,but will ruin the blade so don't use a good blade.   Roly
Yes most carpenters will use standard utility knives. Any use I have used a carbide tipped utility knife blade. Just lasts a little longer.
John T.
(03-16-2020, 09:34 AM)Willyou Wrote: I've only done it a few times. As I recall, all it required was to simply score it with a common utility knife and then snap it off. Scoring on both sides might result in a cleaner break. A little clean-up might be needed.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

As said above just scribe on both sides and snap like drywall. They do make a special blade for cutting cement siding that works well, it has only 4 carbide teeth. Use only outside and with a dust mask, lots of silica dust.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Thanks guys.  I bought a box of 100 utility knife blades a while back, so I am set for the straight cuts.

I guess I use a ceramic cutting blade for my 4½" angle grinder for cutting notches, etc.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cooler
(03-16-2020, 02:14 PM)Cooler Wrote: Thanks guys.  I bought a box of 100 utility knife blades a while back, so I am set for the straight cuts.

I guess I use a ceramic cutting blade for my 4½" angle grinder for cutting notches, etc.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cooler

I lay it flat and lay a 4ft level on it. Stand on the level and score along the edge. Wear Shoes!
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Since you already have the angle grinder with a ceramic cutting blade, I would use that.  It will make a lot of dust, but will be much easier.
(03-16-2020, 05:56 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I lay it flat and lay a 4ft level on it. Stand on the level and score along the edge. Wear Shoes!
I always cut my stock barefoot and naked, especially since I was told to do this outdoors.
Big Grin
Big Grin