Trim Router
Guys,

I'm in the market for a trip router. I have several projects where my large router will be difficult to use. Who makes the best overall router? Dewalt, Bosch, Makita??? 

Also do these take 1/2" bits? Most of my collection of bits are 1/2".

I don't want to skimp on this tool. It should get good use.

Thanks

Mike
I have 3 DeWalt and 1 Bosch 1/4" trim routers. I found the Bosch more difficult to micro adjust the height of the bit. I have 1 Dewalt in my bench top router table. I set the bit height 2 years ago with a 1/8" round over bit and I have never had to re-adjust it and I have used it a lot.
They only take a 1/4" shank bit.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I have the Bosch.  I can attest that the micro-adjust feature can be finicky to use.

When I bought mine, the Bosch was the go-to small router.  I really haven't looked around since then.  

I don't know of any that will accept 1/2" shank bits.
Bosch has two Colt routers now, 1HP and 1-¼ HP. I own both, have had the the 1HP for about 15 years now and it has been stellar, although I agree the fine adjuster is not the best. I liked it enough that I bought the 1-¼ HP version about 6 weeks ago and it corrects the fine adjust weakness of the earlier model. I also have the DeWalt 611 with the fixed and plunge base, and it works great also. Dust collection with the optional accessory in the plunge base works well. I just tend to reach for the Bosch models first, unless I need plunge capability in a smaller router.  To my knowledge, all of the small/trim routers are going to be limited to ¼ inch shanks only.
I have the new Dewalt 20v cordless trim router.  WOW!  it works so much better then I expected.  I use it for all trim and edge easing jobs.   Amazing how much you can do without lowering the battery much. No more fighting cords!
WoodNET... the new safespace
(03-27-2020, 12:57 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Also do these take 1/2" bits? Most of my collection of bits are 1/2".
Mike

Trim routers, because of their diminutive relative size will all be the type that takes the 1/4" shank bits.  
Often small profile router bits with 1/2" shanks are on sale because that profile is so much better suited to a small trim router/laminate trimmer.
I have 5 of the older PC trim routers, which you could most likely find used on ebay, or a NOS.
No idea on the new selection they have now, as I haven't shopped for the new ones.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have a rigid trim router, it does a good job, my only beef with it, it get pretty warm to hold if I am using g it a lot.
Another vote that says the Bosch is a pita to adjust....

Ed
(03-27-2020, 12:57 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Guys,

I'm in the market for a trip router. I have several projects where my large router will be difficult to use. Who makes the best overall router? Dewalt, Bosch, Makita??? 

Also do these take 1/2" bits? Most of my collection of bits are 1/2".

I don't want to skimp on this tool. It should get good use.

Thanks

Mike

I have the Bosch Colt and the Dewalt 611PK kit with both bases. Bought the Bosch first and had the same complaints mentioned by others relative to the depth stop mechanism. The Dewalt is my "go to" small router. Great ergonomics and plenty of power.

Did a quick search and found this. Not familiar with this site but if it's legit I've never seen a better price.

Doug