new lathe decision
(04-15-2020, 07:20 PM)sniper Wrote: BTW, for reference, I've got an American Beauty, so my views may be skewed a little.

That would probably skew my view as well. I would love to have that lathe!
(04-15-2020, 07:20 PM)sniper Wrote: That would be Robust.
Wink

Or Oneway (Made in Canada).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Customer service is lacking with Laguna for sure. I bought used and sold my General 260. The General is a finer made machine, just 1940s technology
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Is Vega machinery still made in the USA.
(04-18-2020, 11:21 AM)gear jammer Wrote: Is Vega machinery still made in the USA.

Last I contacted them was last year and still made in USA as far as I know.
(04-18-2020, 11:21 AM)gear jammer Wrote: Is Vega machinery still made in the USA.

(04-21-2020, 12:22 AM)Tim J. Chase Wrote: Last I contacted them was last year and still made in USA as far as I know.

No lathes on their website
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(04-15-2020, 07:20 PM)sniper Wrote: That would be Robust.
Wink

Looking at both of them, personally I don't think I would like the membrane type control pad on the Nova.  I don't care how tough it is when it's new, over the buttons is going to crack and chip with time.  The nerd in me likes the controls, but the practical side of me thinks the Laguna controls will be better over time.

My argument against the Laguna is the extremely lousy customer service I've heard about for the entire 16+ years I've been on WN.  Unless they've done a 180 recently, I'd be leery of them.  IF they have improved their CS, then with only looking at the specs and demo videos, I'd go with Laguna.  I've always been impressed with the quality of their tools, but the lack of CS has kept me from owning anything from them.

BTW, for reference, I've got an American Beauty, so my views may be skewed a little.

I’ve had my laguana bandsaw for about that long. CS was lousy initially but in the past 5 years CS has been great.
Yea, unfortunately, I think Vega stopped making lathes a couple years ago.

I have one, it's a great machine (Note, I am not criticizing any other lathes when I say that).
Looks like Vega still makes duplicators and a few smaller things.
I guess it was too hard to compete with imports in the hobbyist market, and I am guessing CNC probably hurt the
industrial market for them -- they used to sell large lathe/duplicator combinations for production..
My recent experience with Laguna CS has been exceptional.  I had a problem with a new bandsaw.  Replacement parts and a new blade were sent out to me overnight delivery.  The CS guy gave me his personal cell phone number in case I needed anything else or assistance installing the part.  I think the bad rap Laguna CS continues to have, especially on this forum is based on experiences from years ago.  I would have no hesitation to buy a Laguna lathe.  Friends who have them love them.