Lathe tool holder plans?
I’m looking for something that I can put on wheels that will hold all my gouges skews etc.   I have more than 20 of them. Thinking of something that I can roll out to my lathe. Spin around grab what I need put back what I don’t etc 

Am I making sense?

Saw this but I don’t like it. I would like to be blue to see what the tools are so handles up may not work. 

Anyone have something cool?

(04-29-2020, 08:00 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I have nothing mobile, I made 2 drawers below the lathe that holds 'almost' all my chisels in them, couple are too long to fit.  As far as that example goes, it actually is creative and if I had room I'd consider something similar or larger.
How do you think they attached the PVC to the wood?  Epoxy?
pinterest has some interesting ideas

I had intended to pick up one of Ron Brown's Mobile Turning Tool Caddy on close out at the end of one of the AAW symposiums, but my timing was off. I still like the design.

I had an office chair (5-wheel) that broke at the mount point for the back. I kept the wheels/pneumatic cylinder, up through the mounting plate for the seat. My intent is to put a piece of plywood on it with holes appropriate for the various tools. It is buried under something in the shop.
Rolleyes

I picked up a pair of the stackable, wire loop, horizontal wine bottle holders. When I am turning. I put one of them on a flat surface to hold turning tools. One of the flat surfaces that I use is an old oscilloscope cart. The cart by itself is fine if I am only using a few tools. It can also hold the sand paper rolls.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-29-2020, 09:45 PM)Wipedout Wrote: How do you think they attached the PVC to the wood?  Epoxy?

My guess is that they found a hole saw or maybe a pair of hole saws to get a thick enough kerf that could cut a snug, round mortise to slip the tube into.

Then, a little sandpaper to roughen the end of the tube and a bit of epoxy in the mortise.

Mortise may not be the right word. I am talking about a groove to seat the tube end. The hole made by the lead drill for the hole saw will help later with blowing out sawdust.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-29-2020, 10:38 PM)iclark Wrote: My guess is that they found a hole saw or maybe a pair of hole saws to get a thick enough kerf that could cut a snug, round mortise to slip the tube into.

Then, a little sandpaper to roughen the end of the tube and a bit of epoxy in the mortise.

Mortise may not be the right word. I am talking about a groove to seat the tube end. The hole made by the lead drill for the hole saw will help later with blowing out sawdust.

Couple of other ideas on how to attach.  One is to use some small angle brackets on the bottom side of the plywood.  use short screws to attach it to the pipe along with the bottom of the ply.  Cap the bottom of the tubes so the chisels don't fall through.  Other would be to cap the bottom, cut some rings out of larger diameter pipe that has a snug fit to the outside.  Use plastic pipe solvent to bond the ring to each pipe, side it into the hole and then add a bottom cap.
Pure speculation on my part but both are possible.
(04-29-2020, 08:00 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I’m looking for something that I can put on wheels that will hold all my gouges skews etc.   I have more than 20 of them. Thinking of something that I can roll out to my lathe. Spin around grab what I need put back what I don’t etc 

Am I making sense?

Saw this but I don’t like it. I would like to be blue to see what the tools are so handles up may not work. 

Anyone have something cool?

Here's mine.

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-29-2020, 09:45 PM)Wipedout Wrote: How do you think they attached the PVC to the wood?  Epoxy?

The bottom shelf is resting on the support and the upper one I seen has a screw cut did not see any other screws due to limited visual.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-30-2020, 10:12 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: The bottom shelf is resting on the support and the upper one I seen has a screw cut did not see any other screws due to limited visual.

Thank you Arlin. That makes sense

Hey that reminds me have you heard from Angus lately?  I think I remember that you and he communicated occasionally and I haven't seen him post any of his wonderful segmented turnings in a long time. I know he was having some health issues so I hope he's okay

I made one using PVC that hangs on the wall behind my lathe. It has a plywood back, and bottom and triangle gussets on the ends.  I cut the PVC at an angle on the top and bottom ends so I could run screws through the PVC into the back of the rack.  Over time I've added bits to the front edge on the bottom to hang various accessories.