Shop insulation
I am going to insulate my shop ceiling and walls.
Below is a picture of the space before we bought the house.
I don't want to use drywall on the ceiling for a number of reasons. Weight, difficulty (one man project) as well as ease of installation. The space is full of tools now. I plan to have some things hanging from the ceiling like my air scrubber, shop lights, and storage.
I can leave unfaced insulation in the ceiling and meet code.
I want to cover it with something to keep the insulation in place and not have fibers falling on me. I think that I need something that will breath so I am thinking about tyvek.
the soffit is covered with perforated panels and there is a ridge vent on 50 percent of the roof peak.
What do you think about the proposed ceiling insulation?
Thanks
I am covering the walls with faced insulation and drywall.

Attached Files Image(s)

Have you considered Homosote board for the ceiling. It's extremely light (maybe 10# +/- for a 4x8 x 1/2" sheet), has good sound absorction, and you wouldn't need to tape the seams.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Call in the blow guys. They put netting up and blow it in.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I wish I had insulated before we moved in.
I probably would have done the blow in.
at this point I would have to clear out the whole shop and that is not an option.
The homasote would work but it would have to be the fire rated version which is pretty pricey.
(05-05-2020, 01:29 PM)Dusty Worksho Wrote: I want to cover it with something to keep the insulation in place and not have fibers falling on me.

I have a friend who insulated his 12' shop ceiling then covered it with the material these plastic tarps are made of. He acquired it in bulk, not finished tarps. He used a silvery color. Looks good, does the job.
Robin of Kingston
You want a vapor barrier on the ceiling. Use poly. I would use 6 mill if you are not planning on covering it with anything else.Not tyvek
You know that is what I had originally thought too.
I called a local insulation supply house and they said not to use plastic, that I needed something that would breath
I would put that co. on my do not call list! it breathes on the attic side, you need a vapor barrier on the heated side.
So I spoke to another insulation company today.
they said the same thing, that they would never use a plastic Vapor barrier on a detached garage ceiling. They said that the moisture is created in the work space. It needs to migrate up through the ceiling insulation and dissipate out through the loft space through the ridge vent and the soffits.
(05-07-2020, 07:37 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I spoke to another insulation company today.
they said the same thing, that they would never use a plastic Vapor barrier on a detached garage ceiling. They said that the moisture is created in the work space.  It needs to migrate up through the ceiling insulation and dissipate out through the loft space through the ridge vent and the soffits.

That's what I've always been told.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020