Alternate Solvent for Shellac
Have you tried your local Ace or True Value hardware store for denatured alcohol?
I checked a few SoCal locations and they were showing it in stock.
shellac.net has mohawk/behlen shellac solvent-reducer. A little pricey but high quality.
I'll have to call the folks at Shellac.net. Being in Kalifornia, they are subject to its laws. I cannot figure out why they would ban DNA but they did. IF CARB did it, then that is one thing, if the legislature did it because of the homeless problem, that is another not so good thing.

Just bought some shellac from Joel a month or two ago and now I may have to give it away.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Isn't Everclear known to cause cancer in the State of California?   (Seems like everything else is, including sawdust, www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/wood
)
(05-12-2020, 06:50 PM)bhh Wrote: Isn't Everclear known to cause cancer in the State of California?   (Seems like everything else is, including sawdust, www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/wood
)

Who knows? Failure to post a warning when needed results in very painful penalties so the warnings go on everything - thereby losing their value. Kalifornia
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
20% amonia to 80% water is the best and cheapest solvent you will ever find to clean sprayers or brushes. Actually works better than alcohol on shellac. I am sure it would disolve the flakes but have no idea how it would act as a finish. I am sure the drying time would be much longer. Never thought about it before because i could always get the dna.
(05-17-2020, 02:43 PM)Turner52 Wrote: 20% amonia to 80% water is the best and cheapest solvent you will ever find to clean sprayers or brushes. Actually works better than alcohol on shellac. I am sure it would disolve the flakes but have no idea how it would act as a finish.  I am sure the drying time would be much longer. Never thought about it before because i could always get the dna.

Ammonia is great for clean up but it destroys shellac.   Not to be used to dissolve or thin shellac for finish use.  Roly
(05-12-2020, 02:21 AM)cputnam Wrote: I'll have to call the folks at Shellac.net.  Being in Kalifornia, they are subject to its laws.  I cannot figure out why they would ban DNA but they did.  IF CARB did it, then that is one thing, if the legislature did it because of the homeless problem, that is another not so good thing.

Just bought some shellac from Joel a month or two ago and now I may have to give it away.

DNA road trip, perhaps to AZ, NV or Mexico, whatever is closer??
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks Roly for the answer on using amonia as a shellac base. Thats probably why I had never heard of anyone doing it.
(05-18-2020, 08:16 AM)Admiral Wrote: DNA road trip, perhaps to AZ, NV or Mexico, whatever is closer??
That would be illegal and constitute smuggling. A highly principled person would never contemplate such a thing, nor admit to planning such a trip in public.
Big Grin
Cool
Big Grin
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard