more shaper origin experiments
Been itching to experiment with barrel hinges. These are the sort of thing that the Shaper Origin (or any CNC really) is good at handling. With CAD and a bit more fussing, they can be easily fit.

So, got out the inexpensive set of vernier calipers I use in the workshop (I like vernier because they are difficult to knock out of calibration) and hit the CAD to make up the two halves of a case. Easy enough to get the outline of the calipers into CAD by placing them on the scanner and then tracing the outline. Easy peasy.

Worked pretty well but this 1/2" ply is WAY undersized so the 10mm barrel hinges just barely fit without popping through. Next run I need to adjust a few things and it will be great.

If it wasn't just a test I'd spend a little time cleaning up the cavities with some sanding. Probably spray the whole thing flat black.

Quite impressed with the positional accuracy for inserting the hinges. I bought cheap Chinese copies of the 10mm Soss ones to play with. I should add that one great feature of the Shaper Origin is that you can go back easily to any feature and alter the fit by adjusting offsets and cutting again. For example, these should have been bumped out another 0.1mm and they would have been a tight press fit. At 10mm they are an interference fit.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
So, are you saying the holes should have been 9.9mm?
VH07V  
(05-14-2020, 11:02 PM)EightFingers Wrote: So, are you saying the holes should have been 9.9mm?

10.1mm
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin