Window screen color
I need to rescreen a bunch of my windows, and have run into a dreaded color choice - black vs gray.  And maybe aluminium, though I'm leaning toward vinyl.  What's the upside/downside to either color? 

Mine are the original aluminium now, and most have holes.  It's time.  But I don't know why there are two different colors, and why one would choose one over the other. 

I've done plenty of rescreening in decades past, but that was with aluminium.  So I've never had to think about color.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(05-20-2020, 10:44 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I need to rescreen a bunch of my windows, and have run into a dreaded color choice - black vs gray.  And maybe aluminium, though I'm leaning toward vinyl.  What's the upside/downside to either color? 

Mine are the original aluminium now, and most have holes.  It's time.  But I don't know why there are two different colors, and why one would choose one over the other. 

I've done plenty of rescreening in decades past, but that was with aluminium.  So I've never had to think about color.

Any insights would be appreciated.
I just rescreened in black fiberglass.  It virtually disappears and just seems like a little less bright.

I used the pet proof stuff the last time and it is thicker and much more difficult to work with. 

I used the fine mesh stuff this time.  It is supposed to keep out noseeums.

I am glad I went with black.  It visually disappears from just a few feet away.  Get fresh spline.  Trying to reuse spline is probably a false economy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
On the sunny sides of the house I used the screen that blocks a lot of the light. On the non-sunny sides used the least amount of light blockage. Huge difference in solar gain. But i like a bright room.
Saratoga, NY
Black screens look much nicer IMO than the gray. To each his own.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Black it is, then!  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Had new windows installed last year and they went with black and glad I did. Today the screening is so small that it virtually is invisible
John T.
(05-20-2020, 09:51 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Had new windows installed last year and they went with black and glad I did. Today the screening is so small that it virtually is invisible

Black on mine too.   I have the solar screens on mine which cuts light transmission but when it rains the smaller openings catch the rain drops and you can not see out until they somewhat dry, if that would be a problem for you.    Also they are harder to see in your house from the outside.    Roly
I would note that bronze window screens are very, very classy, and might elevate your status in the neighborhood.

It is hard to find outside wealthy seaside communities however:

https://www.wholesalescreensandglass.com...creen.html

It is more expensive, but has a reputation of being very durable.  (And did I mention it was classy?)
Smile

https://www.windowinsectscreen.com/windo...creen.html 

Bronze Insect Screen

We use this most most frequently in wood screen doors, not only for its longevity, but for its aesthetic appeal. Also suitable for casement window screens and other wood screens.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
"I would note that bronze window screens are very, very classy, and might elevate your status in the neighborhood."

Love it.
(05-21-2020, 08:00 AM)Cooler Wrote: I would note that bronze window screens are very, very classy, and might elevate your status in the neighborhood.

I have an RV parked in my driveway.  OK, the big badge on the grill is Mercedes-Benz, but it's an RV for cripes sake.  Not much is going to elevate my status in this neighborhood.  

All I'm missing is the old fridge on the front porch, and I need to take a wheel or two off my car while my dog hangs out with me, and the package will be complete.

Oh, wait - I've done that already.  

Tom