your experiences with deck resurfacers?
(05-24-2020, 10:38 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: If you like to increase wood dry rot or are trying to put a shine on a junkyard toilet you found your product.

Is this comment in reference to a particular product or a blanket statement about any wood resurfacer?
This is timely for me, I used the Olympic system 4 years ago.
I have removed and in process of replacing all of my decking, was a total failure.
Your best bet is to make sure screws are countersunk and sand it down and perhaps seal it. You can periodically sand as needed to avoid splinters.
(05-25-2020, 10:19 AM)Bluepine Wrote: This is timely for me, I used the Olympic system 4 years ago.
I have removed and in process of replacing all of my decking, was a total failure.

which Olympic product? In what way did it fail?
Olympic Rescue-It, I followed all instructions to a T. Peeling and flaking before winter even set in and looked horrible the next spring.
The areas that the product did stick rotted out from the bottom ( no product underneath )
(05-26-2020, 07:54 AM)Bluepine Wrote: The areas that the product did stick rotted out from the bottom ( no product underneath )

I think this is the crux of any downsides to such re-surfacing products.. 

Maybe I'll stick with a light sanding and then another round of penetrating oil.
A friend of mine used it on his deck.  When I saw it I asked, "What happened to your deck?"

His main concern was splinters and this seemed to deal with that issue.  

Coney Island used to use Western Red Cedar for their boardwalk, but switched to Ipe because of the longer life (25 years on average).

The problem with replacing deck boards is you then discover that the under structure is shot too.   To avoid that realization the painted on "repair" is ideal.  It does not solve the problem, it puts it off for a few years only to have the problem reappear later with more gusto.

If composite decking were more cost-effective than Ipe, I suspect the boadrwalks would all be made of plastic by now.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Don't use the Behr Deck Over. an $$$ misake for me. Im going to be replacing deck boards this summer and fall. For the new parts of the deck I'll have to figure out how to get the paint off, though if I wait long enough it will just peel

Time to flip the boards over.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer