New Splitter from old circular saw blade
(07-04-2020, 01:55 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Great idea!

Is it attached where the old splitter/blade guard was?

Exactly.  I'll try to update with a pic.
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
Reminds me of problems I had with the Shop Fox cabinet saw I bought about 5 or 6 years ago - the splitter went up and down with the blade, was easy to take off and put back on, but it was thick! Add in the build tolerance, it would end up thicker than 1/8". It was also an iterative process of putting it on, taking off, putting on my surface grinder, putting back on, etc. After a couple of hours, it is dialed in perfectly.

My point is, that manufacturers need to pay far more attention to safety details, otherwise, another buyer/user of this table saw, would have discarded the splitter.

Anyhow, great use of an old saw blade!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(07-07-2020, 07:22 AM)stav Wrote: Nice splitter.  All of those left over pieces would make a great wind chime.

Lol, don't give my wife any ideas!
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
(07-04-2020, 01:55 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Great idea!

Is it attached where the old splitter/blade guard was?

Yes, it is. Here's a better view of where it attaches:  

And here's a view from up top, the splitter is automatically aligned perfectly with the saw blade.

Love it! Gonna do it! (Because one of the things my grandpa taught me is to throw the guards away as you’re assembling the saw....so mine is in a landfill 800 miles from me.)
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(07-09-2020, 05:31 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Love it! Gonna do it! (Because one of the things my grandpa taught me is to throw the guards away as you’re assembling the saw....so mine is in a landfill 800 miles from me.)

lol, be careful, first time I mentioned that I didn't know where my blade guard was ON THIS FORUM, I had people flaming me with comments about how irresponsible I was, how  was going to cause people to lose fingers, and all that jazz.  Safety Nazis are everywhere.  

But seriously, that old blade guard sucked so very badly.  It was worthless, and the anti-kickback pawls are downright dangerous, they cause the wood to angle back into the blade.  After almost two decades of no splitter or blade guard I haven't even had a close encounter with kickback, but like I said, I'm getting more careful as I get older so little things like this that add safety and are easy to do, well, it's just a no-brainer.
Same here...aging and marriage make me more conservative, and I’ve learned that my grandpa’s way wasn’t always the best. I also don’t believe the OEM guard provided a substantial safety benefit. I’ve since installed some other safety features and use Grr-ripper blocks, But I think your version solves some more of the usability problems that I still have with my splitters.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
NTR did one out of an old blade. I did one of my own.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(07-10-2020, 06:32 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: NTR did one out of an old blade. I did one of my own.

fishhh4:  "That's not a splitter."  Posts pics.  "THAT's a splitter."

That's very impressive, nice work!