peeling ceiling paint
(07-09-2020, 03:16 PM)Cooler Wrote: All the scraped areas look like fresh plaster.  I thought I would wait until all the old paint flaked off, but it looks like I might not live that long. 

When it is freshly scraped the ceiling looks OK.  The paint and plaster are almost the same color.  But a few months down the road it starts peeling again.  It is not hard work scraping.  Cleaning up afterwards is almost as much work.

Life is short - and getting shorter.  Paint it or sheetrock over it and move on to something more pleasurable, like maybe those new kitchen cabinets I think I remember you talking about months ago but not recently.  

John
(07-08-2020, 04:35 PM)jteneyck Wrote: My house was built in 1961 with the same plaster and wire mesh over narrow plaster board system.  My bathroom ceiling had the same problem, though not as bad as yours.  There is a special paint for just that problem.  It might be Zinsser Perma-White, but I can't remember for sure.  I might still have some of it and can check if needed.  Anyway, it solved the problem; never had any more peeling paint.  I added an exhaust fan, too, but that was years later.  

John

That stuff is amazing.