ROS Hook & Loop Pad Adhesive?
I have a very old Bosch 5" ROS that just lost the thin film hook pad after many years of service.  Both the base pad and the thin film hook pad are in fine shape; just a long term adhesive failure it seems.  I tried to adhere it to the pad using the 3M spray adhesive after cleaning both surfaces with denature alcohol but I'm not sure that is a long term solution as it doesn't seem to be well adhered.  I hate to just give up on the sander as it works fine otherwise for my uses.  Does anyone have suggestions for an adhesive to stick the pad back in place?  

I looked for replacement parts but they don't seem to exist for something this old.

I looked at replacing the sander but I'm not willing to take the Festool slide to bankrupcy for the limited use I give to ROSs.  Maybe another Bosch, or DeWalt or Makita?

Thanks.
(07-15-2020, 08:14 AM)LongLook Wrote: I have a very old Bosch 5" ROS that just lost the thin film hook pad after many years of service.  Both the base pad and the thin film hook pad are in fine shape; just a long term adhesive failure it seems.  I tried to adhere it to the pad using the 3M spray adhesive after cleaning both surfaces with denature alcohol but I'm not sure that is a long term solution as it doesn't seem to be well adhered.  I hate to just give up on the sander as it works fine otherwise for my uses.  Does anyone have suggestions for an adhesive to stick the pad back in place?  

I looked for replacement parts but they don't seem to exist for something this old.

I looked at replacing the sander but I'm not willing to take the Festool slide to bankrupcy for the limited use I give to ROSs.  Maybe another Bosch, or DeWalt or Makita?

Thanks.

I don't know about current production but aside from Bosch has gotten pretty good reviews. I have a Porter Cable made-in-USA angle grinder type ROS that will probably outlive me (as long as I can get pads).
What model sander do you have? I have an old Bosch somewhere that the motor died but I think the pad(s) are OK. Have hard & soft. Will send them to you if it fits. Mine is between 15 & 20 years old.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I have a Bosch,  probably the same model, with a similar problem.  I used epoxy, IIRC.  Eventually the pad wore out and I got another pad, and that started developing the same problem, and I used epoxy again.
(07-15-2020, 05:43 PM)shoottmx Wrote: What model sander do  you have? I have an old Bosch somewhere that the motor died but I think the pad(s) are OK. Have hard & soft. Will send them to you if it fits. Mine is between 15 & 20 years old.

g

It is a 3283 DVS, 5" model.  I'd be glad to reimburse you including shipping if they are compatible.  Thanks.
I bought a replacement kit.  It came with E6000 adhesive.  E6000 is available at Lowes, Home Depot, Michael's Hobby and online.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-17-2020, 07:50 AM)Cooler Wrote: I bought a replacement kit.  It came with E6000 adhesive.  E6000 is available at Lowes, Home Depot, Michael's Hobby and online.

Thanks for the info.  Where did you find the replacement kit?
I don't understand why you're messing about with a kludge or why you had trouble finding a replacement pad.

A Google search returned half a dozen pad choices for me in seconds. The original hooks were not "glued" on , and attempting a fix is a fools errand. Aside from the cost of adhesive and time , you'll still have foam on a 15+ year old pad. Which is dead and tired and hard no matter what you think it looks like. It's a consumable. Do you think 20 year old rubber on a car's tires is still good (or safe) with zero miles on them. They'd look better than your sanding pad.

Buy a new pad for $12- $20 and get on with making sawdust.

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/bosch-32...3-739.html
Apologies for the delay--I finally dug out the sander. Neither of the pads is useable. One is wrecked on the mounting face and the other is chewed up on the OD. Made it an easy decision for me to replace.

Cabinet monkey has solid advice.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(07-18-2020, 02:47 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I don't understand why you're messing about with a kludge or why you had trouble finding a replacement pad.

A Google search returned half a dozen pad choices for me in seconds.  The original hooks were not "glued" on , and attempting a fix is a fools errand. Aside from the cost of adhesive and time , you'll still have foam on a 15+ year old pad.   Which is dead and tired and hard no matter what you think it looks like.  It's a consumable.   Do you think 20 year old rubber on a car's tires is still good (or safe) with zero miles on them. They'd look better than your sanding pad.

Buy a new pad for $12- $20 and get on with making sawdust.

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/bosch-32...3-739.html

Thanks for the link.  For whatever reason, when I do a Google search, that website doesn't appear.  I know as I approach my 80's that my mental facilities get dull, but I just wasn't finding replacement parts.  I've ordered the replacement.  Not sure what you meant by the original hooks not being glued on but the pad on mine has the hard rubber disc (which is still in fine shape by the way) and a thin film containing the hooks.  That thin film separated from the disc.  Thanks again to all.