Shelix Cutter Head (again)
So I've been getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Shelix cutter head for my DW 735 planer. I've been reading more reviews and common complaints seem to be lines on the planed material, bogging down of the planer, and no positive registration of the cutters to ensure they are aligned properly.

Has anyone here with this cutter head on the DW 735 had these types of issues? There are a lot of positive reviews as well, of course, but I want to be sure before dropping the cash.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I have not had any problems with mine, with lines. I do take lighter cuts, so it won't bog down. I also tend to use the slow speed, and get a great cut. The only thing to pay attention to is to torque the screws properly, if you replace, or change the inserts. I have only changed the inserts once in several hundred board feet and in several years. Just my $.02
Oz
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
I have a Shelix (aftermarket) that I put on a jointer. No problems whatsoever several years in. No lines either (to my way of thinking, that must have been caused by a nick of all inserts).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
" I do take lighter cuts, so it won't bog down. I also tend to use the slow speed, and get a great cut."

How light of a cut do you take? With my stock 735, I usually take 2-3 100ths at a time on slow speed for wide boards. If it's a narrow board I'll take a heavier cut. I usually only use the fast feed speed for construction lumber.
"The only thing to pay attention to is to torque the screws properly, if you replace, or change the inserts."

Do you have to align each one or do they "fall" into place? I have an inch-pound torque wrench for such things. I usually use it when changing/flipping factory blades.
My Shelix is an older one, and I got (still get) the lines. First, the lines aren't a problem...it takes (literally) 2-3 passes with an ROS to remove them. Second, as I understand it, Byrd Tool made some changes to the basic design to eliminate this problem on the later models. One thing that helped mine a lot was to remove all the inserts, clean the seats, and then reinstall them...with proper torque (45 inch pounds, as I recall). I have a screwdriver type torque wrench that I used for this, but any of them should work. I was puzzled by your statement about the "positive registration", the seats set them perfectly, but my planer is a 15" delta...maybe they're different for the 735. I've had mine for 11 years, and I rotated the inserts once.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
"First, the lines aren't a problem...it takes (literally) 2-3 passes with an ROS to remove them."

Yeah, I'm used to those, I'm thinking it's someone who thinks a planer means no sanding required.

"I was puzzled by your statement about the "positive registration", the seats set them perfectly,"

Thats what I mean, if you have to adjust them when installing or they just kind of "lock" into place when the screws are tightened.
The only thing I did was put the insert into the seat and tighten it down.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-04-2020, 12:23 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: So I've been getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Shelix cutter head for my DW 735 planer.  I've been reading more reviews and common complaints seem to be lines on the planed material, bogging down of the planer, and no positive registration of the cutters to ensure they are aligned properly.

Has anyone here with this cutter head on the DW 735 had these types of issues? There are a lot of positive reviews as well, of course, but I want to be sure before dropping the cash.

As far as positive registration, there is a stop the cutter rests against and it seats itself. Don't try and position the cutter where you think it should go. One side will ride high and you will snap the cutter. Mounting screws are not always dead center to the cutter. I think there was paperwork included that stated this.
"As far as positive registration, there is a stop the cutter rests against and it seats itself."

Thanks for the info. I know online reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.