Upgrading Festool ribbed hoses
Some weeks ago now, I became aware that my Festool CT26e vacuum cleaner was not sucking as strongly as it should ..

[Image: FinishingTheDrawers_html_39efb6ed.jpg]

I have had the vacuum cleaner for about 5 years, and thought perhaps it was time to clean out the HEPA filter! This was done, and the performance seemed to return to original levels.

Just for reference, the HEPA filter looked pretty clean on one side, while the other was lightly dirty on the outside. Wacking it did dislodge a reasonable amount of dust from between the filter layers. One reason for the lighter-than-expected amount of dust was that it was used with a small cyclone, in this case, a Dust Commander. This replaced a Dust Deputy, which does not have anti-static properties.

[Image: M1.jpg]

All this got me thinking about what could be done to improve the hoses used. There are four in the collection: the standard (green) 27mm Festool; a 35mm (blue) Bosch, which is identical to the 36mm Festool at half the price; a (black) 27mm Mirka, which is dedicated to a Mirka Ceros ROS sander; and a 20mm (black) Mirka hose, which is for the Mirka hand sanders.

[Image: 1a.jpg]

I became aware of these fancy new hoses from Festool, with smooth braided sides, and which were advertised for improved handling ...

[Image: 144156-festool-3-5m-smooth-anti-static-h...500682.jpg]

Could the new hose design be different from the old hose design? It was interesting to look at the inside of my hoses. The ribs appear small - much smaller internally than suggested from the outside or if one looked at those hoses used in dust collection systems ...

[Image: Bosch-35.jpg]

[Image: Festool-27.jpg]

I decided that it would not be cost-effective to replace the hoses for the braided exterior.

Then I came across a video of hoses being covered in the same material as those on the braided Festool, above. Rather than paying hundreds for a new hose, it would be possible to add a covering to each for about $10. Why do this? Because those damned ribbings catch when the hoses are slid along a bench top. This is an irritation when used with a sander, but dangerous when used with a router.

The woven covering is durable and said to offer a protective sheathing for the hoses. Where does one get these coverings? Just Google "BRAIDED HOSE SLEEVE KIT".

It looks like this. I chose black for all ...

[Image: 2a.jpg]

Remove the fittings ...

[Image: 3a.jpg]

Slide the hose in, tape down at one end, and then smooth it back to the start and pull tight ...

[Image: 4a.jpg]

I used self-sealing tape ...

[Image: 5a.jpg]

... and replace the fitting ...

[Image: 6a.jpg]

[Image: 7a.jpg]

Each hose was colour-coded for ease of recognition ...

[Image: 9a.jpg]

I am now waiting on braiding for the Bosch hose ...

[Image: 10a.jpg]

In use, the hoses are magic. They feel so nimble and easy to move around ... one is far less aware of their presence.

They come in all colours. The hoses covered all used a 25mm diameter for the 20 - 27mm covering. The 35mm hose will require a 50mm diameter.

EDIT TO ADD: all done!

[Image: 11a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Years ago, I sold kits to do exactly this, right here on WN and on the FOG. I still have a bunch of that stuff somewhere. BTW the way I sealed the ends was with large heat-shrink tubing but it looks like the tape worked well for you. Also, another slick thing is to run the power cord inside the braided tubing to bundle with the vac hose. Since Festool uses the same power tool/cord connection for all tools it works well. 
Yes
Yes
Yes If you use a non-festool power tool the Festool cord can be disconnected and strapped back to the hose to say out of the way. BTW all my vac hoses have the braided sleeve installed but I don't actually use Festool hoses, I replaced all of mine with the Bosch hoses with the Festool style tool connector.

Maybe, I should put some more kits up for sale in S&S 
Confused
Confused
Confused
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
That looks like that stuff they use at my office to bundle cords together.  

Nice application on your hoses. I might have to see if that will work with the Rockler hose I have. Or for my Ridgid shop vac hose for that matter.  It is always getting snagged.
I did that for my Fein vac hoses. Seems like the covering I used was something made for electronic cable bundling. I also used heat shrink to seal the ends. I had some extra of the braided covering and sold it for what I paid to another person who had a Fein, the covering I bought was orange in color to match the vacs.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-06-2020, 10:56 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I did that for my Fein vac hoses. Seems like the covering I used was something made for electronic cable bundling. I also used heat shrink to seal the ends. I had some extra of the braided covering and sold it for what I paid to another person who had a Fein, the covering I bought was orange in color to match the vacs.

I covered mine in Kawasaki green so I could see it better and not trip over it.
I like the upgrade, but if you haven't tried the new Festool hoses you should give them a shot at some point if you can. They are so much more manuverable, it isn't just the covering on the outside. But, like you said, $$$

(08-06-2020, 10:34 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Years ago, I sold kits to do exactly this, right here on WN and on the FOG. I still have a bunch of that stuff somewhere. BTW the way I sealed the ends was with large heat-shrink tubing but it looks like the tape worked well for you. Also, another slick thing is to run the power cord inside the braided tubing to bundle with the vac hose. Since Festool uses the same power tool/cord connection for all tools it works well. 
Yes
Yes
Yes If you use a non-festool power tool the Festool cord can be disconnected and strapped back to the hose to say out of the way. BTW all my vac hoses have the braided sleeve installed but I don't actually use Festool hoses, I replaced all of mine with the Bosch hoses with the Festool style tool connector.

Maybe, I should put some more kits up for sale in S&S 
Confused
Confused
Confused

OK I have had a few folks ask about selling packages again. I checked to see what I have in the shop loft and I have enough to put together several packages for folks who want and/or need it. I'll get some picture taken and get a listing in S&S later today or tomorrow. In the meantime if you are interested you can send me a PM and I'll put you on the list. 
Wink
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group Password IBTP
(08-10-2020, 12:06 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: OK I have had a few folks ask about selling packages again. I checked to see what I have in the shop loft and I have enough to put together several packages for folks who want and/or need it. I'll get some picture taken and get a listing in S&S later today or tomorrow. In the meantime if you are interested you can send me a PM and I'll put you on the list. 
Wink

OK here it is:  Braided sleeve kits for dust extractor / vacuum hoses: $20 shipped
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group Password IBTP
I use braided PET from amazon for cable protection. Melt the ends and zip ties and it does not unravel at all.

$10 for 25' of 1.25" for hose.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QF7M3D/ref...nFbBTZF1Q5

$20 buys 100' of 1" for cables and such.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GPHW6B/ref...nFbGHQA05T

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(08-15-2020, 01:26 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I use braided PET from amazon for cable protection. Melt the ends and zip ties and it does not unravel at all.

$10 for 25' of 1.25" for hose.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QF7M3D/ref...nFbBTZF1Q5

$20 buys 100' of 1" for cables and such.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GPHW6B/ref...nFbGHQA05T

Thanks for that tip BloomingtonMike. 
Do you think that expands enough to get over the hose ends and maybe include a cord in with the hose?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!