Recommended Router for table without a lift
My Bosch 1613 EVS has died so I need to buy a new router for table mounting. I'm looking for these features if possible since I don't have a lift.

- ability to change height from above the table
- ability to change bits above the table
- 2.25 HP is fine for my needs.

P.S. Is there an advanced search feature for this site?
I have the Triton 3.25hp router. Has all the features you describe. I have it mounted on a Kreg insert.

There's a smaller model of the Triton available, but I've never looked at it.

Advanced search button is available on the Search page. Hit the Search button toward the upper right part of the page.
I think  maybe the Triton is the only one that allows bit change above the table. It does have some other less handy features, so be sure to give all of them consideration (like a sliding gate over the switch that can be, well, a pain). The Milwaukee routers (5616) have good table features...but not the above the table bit change.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-10-2020, 05:14 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I think  maybe the Triton is the only one that allows bit change above the table. It does have some other less handy features, so be sure to give all of them consideration (like a sliding gate over the switch that can be, well, a pain). The Milwaukee routers (5616) have good table features...but not the above the table bit change.

What Fred says is true.  Here are a couple of the things that stand out:

- When raising the router body , one must turn the power switch to the off position to enable the router to raise all the way up.  This is a safety feature, and makes sense, but the issue is that the power switch is in an awkward spot on the router side that faces away from the front of the table.  It's a blind reach that really annoys some users.  I've grown accustomed to it.

- The sliding gate that Fred mentions; I've grown used to that as well.

- The lift mechanism has some lash to it that higher-dollar lifts probably don't.

I do like the above table bit and collet changes.  I also liked that it's a fairly cost-efficient machine.  Paid $259, IIRC, plus about $50 for the table insert plate.  I needed a big router for the table, so I could easily have spent $600-$700 or more for one of the other combos.
I use this jack as a router lift on my plunge router.  I still have to lock the router, but it is a good, inexpensive way to deal with this.

Note:   That model is not available at the present.  This is a close match and costs less than $50.00.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8HR29P/ref=dp_cerb_2

[Image: 51KXpRagidL._AC_SL1000_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-09-2020, 10:13 PM)walkman Wrote: My Bosch 1613 EVS has died so I need to buy a new router for table mounting. I'm looking for these features if possible since I don't have a lift.

- ability to change height from above the table
- ability to change bits above the table
- 2.25 HP is fine for my needs.

P.S. Is there an advanced search feature for this site?

I have the smaller Triton in my table.  I works well and bit change above the table.  They are a little quirky with some of the safety issues when changing the bit as you have to trip the power switch to get the collet to final height but overall it works for me.
I had a Freud 3000 router and it worked pretty well - could leave the switch on all the time (and use a switch mounted on the router table), had above the table bit changes, that sort of thing. It seems discontinued now but you might be able to find one online.
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
Bosch 1617 here. the fixed base can be adjusted from above the table, though you still have to reach under to lock & unlock. Base is drilled & tapped for both the Bosch 4 screw and the PC 690 triangle, so easy to find plates/mounts for it. 2.25 HP. I keep my fixed base mounted in a table, plunge base is still available to swap the motor into (most makes use/suggest the plunge base to mount in a table) I like mine.
earl
(08-10-2020, 10:37 AM)abernat Wrote: I had a Freud 3000 router and it worked pretty well - could leave the switch on all the time (and use a switch mounted on the router table), had above the table bit changes, that sort of thing. It seems discontinued now but you might be able to find one online.

I have an FT2000E with a router raizer. It works well but hasn't been available for several years. I don't use it heavily and have replaced the bearings with good quality replacements. I hope it'll last for years but if it doesn't I'm going to explore moving the router raizer to a Hitachi/Metabo 3.x h.p. router from Big Sky Tools. If that isn't sensible I think Triton or Milwaukee is next.
The Triton has served me very well. I would buy it again without hesitation.