My Roubo
Nice bench and nice tool cabinet. Well done!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Beautiful bench!

Do you plan to add holdfast holes to the top later?
Very nice workbench – good work!
(08-20-2020, 07:40 AM)camp10 Wrote: Beautiful bench!

Do you plan to add holdfast holes to the top later?

AH, good catch. Absolutely. I sort of forgot to drill them at the time, then I was skeptical of any of the bits I own to do a clean, straight cut. I just need to take an afternoon and get it done. lol
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
(08-20-2020, 12:30 PM)elinourrumming Wrote: Very nice workbench – good work!

Thanks!
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
TJ,
Your bench looks great and is another inspiration for me to build mine (as soon as I have the time).

I have seen other roubo benches that have the legs mortised into the top.  I have also seen many that are not mortised.

Is there a reason why you did not mortise the legs?  How did you secure the top to the support frames?
Steve
(08-25-2020, 12:44 PM)arnman Wrote: TJ,
Your bench looks great and is another inspiration for me to build mine (as soon as I have the time).

I have seen other roubo benches that have the legs mortised into the top.  I have also seen many that are not mortised.

Is there a reason why you did not mortise the legs?  How did you secure the top to the support frames?

Apologies for my delay in reply, arnman.
The Benchcrafted drawings call for shallow mortises in the tops with matching tenons in the top of the legs. This makes the bench come apart in 3 pieces in case you need to move it. I think if I weren't planning to move again in the next few years, I probably would have done the dovetail mortises glued in as you've seen others do - just for an extra aesthetic detail.

Now, I did actually screw up cutting one of the leg tenons so its matching mortise is positioned wrong. That error is clear if you were to turn the bench top parts over. But you wouldn't know it otherwise.
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
Thanks for the follow-up T.J.  The ability to break it down for moving makes sense!  Something for me to think about.
Steve
Lovely bench! and love that wall cabinet too!

But, mate your workshop is too clean!!
(09-16-2020, 10:34 PM)AlistairD Wrote: Lovely bench! and love that wall cabinet too!

But, mate your workshop is too clean!!

lol, no way! I love a clean workshop. At least at the START of a project.
Wink
Also, this is just one corner. Who knows what the rest of the shop looked like at this time.
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas