Delta BS Guides
(09-17-2020, 09:56 AM)jussi Wrote: Has anyone used both ceramics and coolblocks?  If so, what is the difference in performance?

Not quite apples and oranges, but ceramics are slick, as indicated, and don't worry about being wet.  Phenolic types lubricate while controlling. and are somewhat subject to moisture and mush build.  

Difference in guides is what I mentioned above -  ceramics contraindicated on blade sizes which may put teeth into them.  Will damage the teeth. Phenolics will be damaged by the teeth, but may be re-trued with a file or sandpaper.  Meantime, the blade will wander a bit in the new space created.  

Ceramic thrust "bearings" don't clog or wear.  Think bushing, nor bearing.  On my Delta, the top rotating bearing is laterally adjustable, but the bottom not, for whatever reason.  Out of sight, out of mind?  If one needs adjustment, why not the other?  Ceramics don't care.  Steel isn't going to groove them, and if somehow it does with grit, you rotate them slightly and get an entirely fresh set of surfaces.  Rotating bearings are ruined if the outer race is grooved on a sticking bearing .

Jussi, if your weld is improperly sanded, and sticks out, you sand it flush - minding the teeth.  Phenolics will be worn by the passing lump and allow wander, Ceramics will wear the lump, if anything.

Oh yes, I've used and continue to use either, as required.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-18-2020, 10:01 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Not quite apples and oranges, but ceramics are slick, as indicated, and don't worry about being wet.  Phenolic types lubricate while controlling. and are somewhat subject to moisture and mush build.  

Difference in guides is what I mentioned above -  ceramics contraindicated on blade sizes which may put teeth into them.  Will damage the teeth. Phenolics will be damaged by the teeth, but may be re-trued with a file or sandpaper.  Meantime, the blade will wander a bit in the new space created.  

Ceramic thrust "bearings" don't clog or wear.  Think bushing, nor bearing.  On my Delta, the top rotating bearing is laterally adjustable, but the bottom not, for whatever reason.  Out of sight, out of mind?  If one needs adjustment, why not the other?  Ceramics don't care.  Steel isn't going to groove them, and if somehow it does with grit, you rotate them slightly and get an entirely fresh set of surfaces.  Rotating bearings are ruined if the outer race is grooved on a sticking bearing .

Jussi, if your weld is improperly sanded, and sticks out, you sand it flush - minding the teeth.  Phenolics will be worn by the passing lump and allow wander, Ceramics will wear the lump, if anything.

Oh yes, I've used and continue to use either, as required.
I made my first set using 1/2" square aluminum stock and ball-bearings for a router bit that would fit through the opening in the guide...They did the job better than my cool-blocks because they didn't wear...Not hard to make at all......
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks to all. A lot of good info. Got some hard Maple and such, so I'll try out some of the home made.